By default, Windows and Mac will play a sound when you boot up the computer. Though this helps to understand the system is working fine and getting started, it can be annoying most of the times. For example, you may be starting the system at nighttime when your family members are sleeping. Or you want to avoid the sound in a silent meeting in your office. Here is how you can disable startup sound in Windows and Mac.
You can keep the volume low to avoid hearing the sound at startup. In addition, it is also possible set a light tone for your startup audio. However, disabling the startup is the best option to completely get rid of the nuisance.
Disable Startup Sound in Windows
Follow the below instructions in Windows PC:
- Right click on Start menu icon in taskbar and select “Settings” option. Alternatively, you can press “Win + I” shortcut keys to open Windows Settings app.
- When you are in the Settings app, go to “System” tab from the sidebar.
- Click on “Sound” option to open sound settings.
- Scroll down to bottom on the sound settings page and click on “More sound settings” option.
- This will open a pop-up and go to “Sounds” tab.
- Uncheck the box before “Play Windows Startup Sound” option.
- Click “Apply” button and close the pop-up and settings app.
Disable Startup Sound in Mac
Follow the instructions in macOS:
- Click on the Apple logo showing on top left corner of your Mac’s screen.
- Select “System Preferences…” from the menu that appears.
- Click “Sound” icon to open sound preferences in your Mac.
- You can also open sound preferences by clicking on the speaker icon if it shows on the top menu bar.
- When you are in the preferences screen, go to “Sound Effects” tab.
- Uncheck the “Play sound on startup” option.
Close the preferences window and your Mac will not play any startup sound hereafter. As mentioned, you can also mute or reduce the volume by adjusting the “Output volume” slider.
Leave a Reply
Your email is safe with us.