Whenever you download a PDF file, Chrome will automatically open it and show it to you online on the browser. For the people who take PDFs files seriously, Chrome PDF viewer is not the best PDF viewer they can use. Chrome default PDF viewer lacks in advanced features like annotation and marking. If you read eBooks regularly then you might want to turn off this feature in Chrome and download the file to your computer. So, let’s see how to disable Chrome PDF viewer and download PDF files.
Chrome PDF Viewer
The default view of PDF files will look like below on Chrome:
This is a in-built PDF viewer tool of Chrome and have simple features like rotate, download, print, full screen mode, zoom in and zoom out function. You can also click on the page and enter the page number to go to that page. You can’t do any other thing with this online PDF viewer. Though, it has a download option, you need to view and then download the file. Also when the document contains confidential information, it is not a good idea to look on the browser with people around you.
How to Disable Chrome PDF Viewer and Download PDF Files?
For disabling Chrome PDF viewer and to simply download files, you have to follow steps given below:
- Open your Google Chrome and type the command URL ‘chrome://settings’ in the address bar open settings panel.
- Then, at the bottom of the page, you’ll find the ‘Advanced’ button, click on it to expand more options.
- Now, under ‘Privacy and security’, you’ll see ‘Content settings’, click and open it.
- Scroll cursor to the bottom of the page and you’ll see ‘PDF documents’, just open it.
- Now, there is an option which says ‘Download PDF files instead of automatically opening them in Chrome’, turn on this option.
Thank you. I followed the steps – several times – but chrome still downloads files as chrome files, and it doesn’t open the files, but gets laggy with the file. So, either chrome itself is not allowing my files to down as pdf’s or word documents – or there is something else I need to ….