You may hear no sound or some intermittent sound, when you have audio problems. There could be many reasons why you face sound or audio problems in Windows 10. It can be a software conflict or may be due to the hardware installed on your PC. In this guide, we will show you some best practices to fix them.
Fix Audio Problems in Windows 10
First of all, there are very basic things to check:
- Check the volume level of your earphones, headphones and speakers.
- Make sure the volume levels are ok in Windows from the volume icon on the taskbar. Confirm that the volume on Windows or on the external speakers are not muted.
- Check the cables of the speakers, earphones, headphones are not damaged from anywhere.
- Check if the USB port is damaged or not. Try connecting with another one.
- Ensure the wireless connection is working if you are connecting the spearker through Bluetooth.
Sometimes, these are basic issues which can lead to the audio problems. Performing a hardware check is always necessary.
Run Audio Troubleshooter
After checking the hardware, the next step to do is troubleshoot audio problems in Windows 10 PC from software side. It helps in quickly finding the issues and fix them automatically. To run a troubleshooter for audio in Windows 10:
- Press ‘Win + I’ keys and open Windows Settings app.
- Navigate to ‘Update & Security > Troubleshoot’ option.
- Click on ‘Playing audio’ under ‘Get up and running’.
- Click on ‘Run the troubleshooter’.
Run Troubleshooter from Taskbar
You can also run the troubleshooter directly from the taskbar.
- Right-click on the small speaker icon on the taskbar.
- Choose ‘Troubleshoot sound problems’.
It will start detecting problems and ask you to fix them. Simply, go for fixing them.
Set Default Device
If your audio device has a USB or HDMI cable then after connecting, you need to make it default. To do this:
- Type ‘sound’ in Windows or Cortana search box and hit enter. This will open the ‘Sound’ dialog box.
- Go to the ‘Playback’ tab and choose your current device and set it default.
- Press ‘Apply’ and then ‘OK’ button.
Change Audio Formats
Choosing a different audio format from the current one can sometimes fix the issues easily. You can change the audio formats by following the below steps:
- Open ‘Sound’ dialog box from Windows search box by searching for ‘sound’.
- Scroll down a bit and right-click on the ‘Default device’, choose ‘Properties’.
- Under the ‘Advanced’ tab in the ‘Default format’ section, change the audio format from the drop-down list.
- Click on ‘Test’ to test your audio. If this does not work try a different format.
- When you find the perfect audio format, click on ‘Apply’ then ‘OK’.
Update Audio Driver
The problem can be device drivers which are not installed properly, not compatible or may be outdated. It’s always a good idea to check the drivers if any problem arises in the Windows 10 regarding any device. To fix the sound issues:
- Press ‘Windows key + X’ and choose ‘Device Manager’ from the menu.
- Click on the drop-down list icon to expand the list of ‘Sound, video and game controllers’.
- Right-click on the driver and select the option ‘Update Driver’.
- If you find nothing then make sure to check the device manufacturer website for updated drivers. Download from their website and install them on your PC. If things didn’t work out try next option.
- Right-click on the audio driver and try uninstalling it. After that, unplug your device and reconnect it back and wait until it starts installing the drivers again. Give your PC a restart before reconnecting the device. Check your device before going to further step.
- In the device manager, right-click on the audio driver and choose ‘Update driver’.
- Click on ‘Browse my computer for driver software’ then choose ‘Let me pick from a list of device drivers on my computer’.
- Click on the ‘High Definition Audio Device’ and press the ‘Next’ button to install it.
We hope one of the above mentioned solutions should helped you to fix your audio problems. If not you need to change the external speakers and check the problem. Probably you should contact the service provider, when builtin speakers not working.