Apple introduced a new a new 15-inch MacBook Pro model in WWDC 2023. Along with huge upgrades to M2 chips, Apple also introduced the preview of new macOS version 14.0. The OS is named as Sonoma based on the winemaking place in California. macOS Sonoma comes with bunch of new features and here are the details if you are looking for installing it on your Mac.
macOS Sonoma Release Date
The Developer Beta version is available for developers and early bird enthusiasts to test the features. Public Beta and stable versions were released as per the below schedule:
|macOS 14 Developer Beta||05 Jun 2023|
|macOS 14 Public Beta||11 July 2023|
|macOS 14 Stable Version||26 September 2023|
If you do not want to test the macOS, learn how to install Developer Beta version for free.
macOS Sonoma Supported Mac Models
Apple releases new features in macOS with the intention of pushing old Mac users to purchase a new model. Being said that, most old models will not support latest macOS 14 and here is a complete list of Mac models that will work with macOS Sonoma, the version 14.0.
- MacBook Pro 2018 or later
- MacBook Air 2018 or later
- iMac 2019 or later
- iMac Pro 2017
- Mac Pro 2019 or later
- Mac Studio 2022 or later
- Mac mini 2018 or later
Complete macOS Sonoma Features List
The new OS will have lot of major and minor updates to apps like Safari, Messages, FaceTime along with general features like improvements in desktop widgets. Some of the features are also shared from iOS 17 to Mac to make things easier when using multiple devices.
New Safari Updates
As with every release, Safari gets big updates in macOS Sonoma also.
- You can create Web Apps to convert any site as an app and add it to your Dock.
- Use multiple profiles to manage personal and official stiffs separately.
- Create groups and share passwords to manage them by all group members.
- Lock private browsing tabs to protect your privacy.
- Safari will also automatically remove tracking parameters from all URLs.
Now, you can use the Messages app in Mac with high productivity as most of the iOS features are coming to macOS.
- Use multiple search filters to quickly find the results.
- Small catch-up arrow will help to move to the top of conversation.
- Create and insert live stickers to any message.
- View shared locations within conversation without leaving the app.
- You can now blur sensitive content before viewing in Messages.
Notes App Updates
This time Notes app is getting slew of improvements.
- Insert links to connect other notes.
- Show PDF as a readable file and navigate through multi-pages document.
- Start a note in Notes app and continue it in Pages using the Continuity feature.
Privacy Updates in macOS Sonoma
Besides Safari privacy updates, there are also additional privacy features come to Mac with Sonoma.
- Communication Safety will show a sensitive content notification in Messages and other apps before viewing sensitive photos and videos.
- Improved app permissions will help to control what apps can do.
- Lockdown mode helps to isolate your Mac when you think the system is targeted with cyber attacks.
Other System Features
Other than app specific features, macOS Sonoma also brings updates to some system features.
- Live screen savers which will change to wallpaper when you login.
- You can arrange widgets anywhere on the desktop and use interactively like completing a task in Reminders widget. With Sonoma, iPhone’s widgets will also be available on your Mac without the need of installing the apps.
- Presenter Overlay feature allows the speaker to show a small bubble or big overlay video of themselves in video calls. You can also send reactions like hearts with a hand gestures.
- Game Mode will prioritize your Mac for playing games by automatically reducing other background activities (like Windows 11 Game Mode).
- Improved autocorrection and text prediction while you type. Dictation also works seamlessly with typing and you do not need to stop dictating when switching to typing.
- Automatic filling of PDF forms with the details from your Contacts app.
- It is possible to create pet albums as Mac will also recognize pets in your photos.
- Siri gets a cut with “Hey” is removed and you can simply call “Siri” to activate the virtual assistant.
- Groceries in Reminders app will automatically create groups and arrange your items.