Apple unveiled slew of features in WWDC 2023 help on June 5th. You will soon get new products like Vision Pro headset, 15-inch MacBook Air, upgraded Mac Pro and Mac Studio with M2 chips. Along with product updates, you will get iOS 17, iPadOS 17, macOS 14 and next version of WatchOS 10. Here is the summary of top 10 features you will get with macOS 14. Check out the top features you will get for your iPhone with iOS 17 here.
Apple named the next macOS version 14 as Sonoma based on the historic winemaking region in California. You will get big updates for Safari along with some common shared updates from iOS 17. The new software will be available as a beta version in July and subsequently the stable version will be released in fall this season.
1. Live Screen Saver
If you like the Live Photos on your iPhone, then you will like the live screen saver feature in macOS Sonoma too. You can set any motion picture as a screen saver for your Mac’s lock screen.
2. Improved Desktop Widgets
Desktop widgets are not new to macOS and currently you can access them in the notification center from top right section of the display. From macOS Sonoma, you will get the following updates for widgets.
- Drag and drop widgets to any position on your desktop.
- Widgets will automatically blend with the desktop background and when you open apps.
- You can use widgets gallery to view and arrange all items (right-click on desktop and select “Edit Widgets…”).
- Share iPhone widgets on Mac using Continuity feature.
- Widgets are interactive allowing you to trigger actions without opening the app.
3. Game Mode for macOS Sonoma
You might have heard of Game Mode in Windows 11. Now that macOS will get similar option to prioritize the game apps by reducing the background activities of other apps. This will also reduce the input latency with Play Station controllers and Xbox.
4. Presenter Overlay and Reactions in Video Conferencing
If you spend much of your time on video calls and conferences on Mac, then these features will be really useful.
- Presenter Overlay allows you to show your face as a small movable bubble or show you as a large overlayed section on videos.
- You can send reactions while on video conference using gestures.
These features work on popular video conferencing apps like FaceTime, Zoom and Microsoft Teams.
5. Updates to Private Browsing in Safari
You will get the following features in Safari private browsing with macOS Sonoma:
- Locked private browsing windows.
- Blocks trackers from loading.
- Remove tracking parameters from URL.
6. Passkeys for Shared Passwords
With macOS Sonoma, you can share the passwords with family member or other users on your Mac. You can create a group and all group members can save and edit the passwords in the group. All saved passwords will be synced in iCloud and you can access them under “Settings > Passwords” section in macOS.
7. Safari Profiles
Finally, Profiles are coming to Safari browser in macOS Sonoma. You can create multiple profiles to separate your work and personal browsing activities. Safari will keep cookies, history, extension, tab groups and favorites separately for each profile account.
8. Web Apps in Dock
Progressive Web Apps feature allows to convert a websites like YouTube and Gmail into an app in Chrome and Edge browsers. Now that Safari will get similar feature called Web Apps in Dock with macOS Sonoma. You can easily add any website in your dock from Safari by going to “File > Add to Dock…” menu. This will add the website icon in Dock and clicking on which will work like an independent app. You can also get push notifications for the sites you have added as Web Apps in Dock.
9. Live Stickers in Messages
Messages app got lot of new features in iPhone with iOS 17. You will get similar features in macOS Messages app also like Stickers. You can convert any images or live photo to a sticker and attach to the conversation and send as a reaction. All existing emoji symbols will be available as default stickers for you to select from.
10. Other Updates – PDF Autofill, Predictive Text and Siri
Besides the major features listed above, you will also get some minor updates.
- With macOS Sonoma, you can simply activate Siri by calling it as “Siri” instead of “Hey Siri”. In addition, you can use Siri for back-to-back queries instead of every time calling for activating.
- You will get predictive text suggestions to finish the word, phrase or even sentences.
- PDF forms will be automatically filled with the details from your contact. You can then easily save and share the filled form.