We use degree symbol for two main purposes. One is to indicate temperature like 25 degree Celsius or 40 degree Fahrenheit and other is to measure angles in mathematics like 45 degree. There are no default keys on standard keyboard layout to insert degree symbol. However, you can type degree symbol using keyboard shortcut and using other utilities in Windows and Mac computers.
Unicode Degree Symbols
In Unicode, there are five degree symbols available:
- Degree sign
- Degree Celsius or degree Centigrade
- Degree Fahrenheit
- Musical symbol degree slash
Degree Symbol Keyboard Shortcuts
Below is a summary of Windows and Mac keyboard shortcuts for all degree symbols.
|Degree Sign||Alt + 0176||Option + 00B0||00B0 + Alt + X||\degree|
|Degree Celsius||Alt + 8451||Option + 2103||2103 + Alt + X||\degc|
|Degree Fahrenheit||Alt + 8457||Option + 2109||2109 + Alt + X||\degf|
|Kelvin Sign||Alt + 8490||Option + 212A||212A + Alt + X|
|Musical Symbol Degree Slash||Alt + 119209||Option + 1D1A9||1D1A9 + Alt + X|
Typing Degree Symbol in Windows and Mac
Depending upon the Windows or Mac based computers; you can use one of the following methods.
1. Using Superscript
The easiest method is to type letter o and make it as a superscript. It may look like 25oC. You can easily create superscript by select the letter o and press “Control + Shift + +” keys. You can follow this in Windows, Mac and on all word processing apps in smartphones.
2. Using Math AutoCorrect
Microsoft Office applications have a huge list of Math AutoCorrect to convert text into symbols. Simply type the word and press space for automatically changing it to one of the degree symbols. This is an easy to remember way and make degree symbols appearing properly on your documents.
- \degree will change to degree symbol like °.
- \degc will create a degree Celsius symbol like ℃.
- \degf will make a degree Fahrenheit symbol like ℉.
In this method, Celsius (C) and Fahrenheit (F) appears before the actual degree symbol (°). This may be different writing practice that many of us write C and F after the degree symbol.
Math AutoCorrect is enabled by default on Windows based Office 365 applications. If it is not working, you can follow the below instructions to enable it:
- Open Word or Excel and go to “File > Options” menu.
- Go to “Proofing” section and then click on “AutoCorrect Options…” button.
- Navigate to “Math AutoCorrect” tab and enable the checkboxes for “Use Math AutoCorrect rules outside of math regions” and “Replace text as you type” options (ensure to enable both the options)
- As you can see the degree symbols shortcuts are available by default. Therefore, you do not need to add them. However, if you want to include them in normal AutoCorrect, go to “AutoCorrect” tab and all the three shortcuts for degree, Celsius and Fahrenheit symbols.
There are no degree symbols available on Mac Office 365 apps. As explained above, you can add them manually either under AutoCorrect or under Math AutoCorrect sections.
3. Alt Code for Degree Symbols
Alt codes are very popular for inserting symbols in Windows based computers that have additional number pad in the keyboard. However, you can also use alt (option) key in Mac with Unicode Hex Input method.
- Alt + 0176 in Windows and Option + 00B0 in Mac will make ° symbol.
- Alt + 8451 in Windows and Option + 2103 in Mac will produce ℃ symbol.
- Similarly, Alt + 8457 in Windows and Option + 2109 will make ℉ symbol.
In addition, you can insert the degree sign on Mac using “Option + Shift + 8” keys.
4. Alt + X Method for Windows Word
When you have Windows laptop without long keyboard with separate number pad then there is another way for you.
- Type 00B0 and press Alt + X keys to make degree symbol like °.
- Enter 2103 and press Alt + X keys to type degree Celsius symbol like ℃.
- Type 2109 and press Alt + X keys to make degree Fahrenheit symbol like ℉.
5. Keyboard Shortcut in Word
If you have not changed any settings, you can use the keyboard shortcut in Word documents to type degree symbol. Press “Control + Shift + 2” keys and leave your hands then press comma immediately to make degree symbol.
6. Type Degree Symbol in Mac with Character Viewer
Follow the instructions on Mac to insert degree symbols:
- Press “Command + Control + Space” to open Character Viewer app.
- Type “degree” to filter all degree related symbols.
- Double click on the degree, Celsius or Fahrenheit symbol to insert on your document.
Kelvin and Musical Degree Slash Symbols
Though many of us do not use Kelvin and musical degree slash symbol, here are the shortcuts if you need.
- Simply type capital letter K to indicate Kelvin. Alternatively, use Alt + 8490 in Windows and Option + 212A in Mac.
- For musical degree slash symbol 𝆩, use Alt + 119209 in Windows. This symbol may not display properly on documents, however you can see it on the browser display. Check out the complete list of musical symbols that you can type with alt code shortcuts.
HTML Escape Entities
Generally, you cannot copy paste the special characters in HTML directly. In order for the browsers to parse the symbols, you should use the escape strings on your code.
- For degree symbol, use ° or ° or °.
- For degree Celsius, use ℃ or ℃
- Similarly for degree Fahrenheit symbol, use ℉ or ℉.