Windows 11 comes with a revamped taskbar completely different than the previous Windows versions. By default, taskbar will show icons in the center, weather widget on the left corner and system tray icons on the right corner. If you are not interested in seeing the weather widget on the left, here is how to disable it from taskbar in Windows 11.
Weather Widget in Windows 11
Windows 10 used to show the weather on left side of the taskbar before system tray icons as part of “News and interests”. You can simply right-click on the empty area of taskbar and disable “News and interests” section. However, weather widget in Windows 11 shows the temperature and weather condition on the left corner of your taskbar. The information is obtained from MSN website based on your current location. Remember, weather widget will work even if you have disabled location services in settings as Windows get the location information using your network connection.
There are many reasons, you do not want to show the weather widget in your taskbar. Perhaps you use another app for getting the weather or want to keep your taskbar tidy without distractions. In such cases, you can either completely remove the weather widget from the taskbar or group the icons to have more empty space.
1. Remove Weather Widget from Taskbar in Windows 11
- Press “Win + I” shortcut keys or right-click on the Start menu icon and select “Settings” option. This will open Windows Settings app like below.
- Go to “Personalization” section and then click on “Taskbar” option.
- Expand the “Taskbar items” section and turn off “Widgets” option.
- This will instantly remove the weather widget from your taskbar.
Note: Turning off “Widgets” will only hide the weather widget from your taskbar and will not disable other widgets. You can still be able to view the widgets (including weather) by pressing “Win + W” shortcut keys. This will open the slide out and show all your widgets which you can customize as per your need.
2. Rearrange Weather Icon in Taskbar
Instead of removing the widget, you can also rearrange the weather icon in taskbar to get more space.
- Press “Win + I” keys to open Settings app.
- Go to “Personalization > Taskbar” section and make sure you have turned on “Widgets” under “Taskbar items”.
- Expand “Taskbar behaviors” section and change the “Taskbar alignment” from center to left from the dropdown.
- This will group the weather widget icon along with other icons on your taskbar and align all the items on the left side as shown below.
Change Degree Celsius to Fahrenheit in Weather Widget
The weather widget supports both Celsius and Fahrenheit scales. If you want to change the unit, then press “Win + W” or hove over the weather widget on the taskbar. This will open all the widgets, find “Weather” widget from the list and click on the “See full forecast” list showing below the widget. This will open MSN site where you can change the scale from Celsius to Fahrenheit or vice versa.
Weather Widget Not Showing Temperature
Sometimes you may see the weather widget on the taskbar but not the information like temperature or condition.
This generally happens when Windows not able to determine your location. As weather information is obtained based on your network connection, using VPN or proxy may prevent the widget from working properly. Simply disable VPN, proxy or any other network disruptions and you will find the widgets will work properly.