Nowadays, you can find the Quick Response or QR codes everywhere. You can generate QR code of webpages directly from Edge or Chrome browsers and share with anyone. Though it is easy to read QR codes using smartphone’s camera, it is not easy with Windows computers. If you frequently need to scan QR codes in Windows 11 based computers, here are the options available for you.
Scan QR Codes in Windows 11
There are lot of situations you need to scan the QR code in your laptop or desktop instead of smartphone. Perhaps it is the QR code of a webpage someone sent to you or you want to join a meeting by scanning QR code from your phone. You can use one of the following methods depending upon the situation.
1. Scan QR Code with Camera App in Windows 11
This is useful when you have the QR code in your phone and wanted to scan from your desktop or laptop.
- Click the search button in taskbar and type “camera” in the search box.
- Find Camera app from the results and open it.
- The latest version of Windows 11 offers three modes for using Camera app – Video, Photo and Barcode.
- Use the down arrow showing on the right side of the reveal Barcode mode. Click on it to switch the Camera app to use Barcode mode.
- Now show the QR code in front of your computer’s camera in a manner it can be clearly visible in the screen.
- Windows will automatically scan the QR code and show the intended action. For example, you can see the hyperlink from QR code to open it using Edge browser.
Note: Camera app comes by default in Windows 11. However, you can also install the app from Microsoft Store if it is not available in your computer. If you are not seeing the Barcode mode, click on the gear icon showing on top left corner of the Camera app. Expand “Related settings” tab and turn on “Try out new experimental features” option.
2. Use QR Code Reader App
There are plenty of free and paid apps available for generating and scanning QR codes in Windows 11. For example, WiFi QR Code Scanner is a special app for scanning and connecting to a Wi-Fi network through a QR code. However, you need general apps like Photo Scan for scanning QR codes from photos.
- Open Microsoft Store and search for “QR code”.
- Find and install Photo Scan – OCR and QR Code Scanner for Windows app.
- Open the app and click “Scan QR Code” icon in left sidebar.
- The app offers options to scan QR code from any photos from your computer or scan using the camera or scan from the clipboard.
- Click “Browse Photo” button and select your QR code picture.
- The app will automatically scan the QR code and show the details along with the intended action as a result.
You can also use the Photo Scan app for grabbing text from images and creating QR code.
3. Using Online Websites
The last option is to use an online website to scan a QR code. This is a good option when you do not want to install an app and want to scan on the go. The advantage of using online service is that you can either scan from the image in your computer or use camera to scan the code from your phone or other devices.
- Go to DNSChecker QR Code Scanner tool page.
- Go to “Upload Image” tab and upload the QR code image from your computer. Alternatively, go to “Scan QR Code” tab and scan the QR using camera from other devices.
- Once the page detects the code, you will hear a beep sound and show the result below the code. You can also find the history of scanning results or delete the history after scanning.
The only problem with online services is that they are not reliable and do not work in some cases.
Most instant messaging, conferencing and social apps offer in-built option to scan QR code from the image or using camera. Though you can use a third-party app or an online service, you need to provide permission to access your camera. In addition, these free apps and services show distracting advertisements as they are free to use. If you are not convenient in granting camera access or advertisements, using the default Camera app is the best option to scan QR codes in Windows 11 computers.