Google Analytics tracking is one of the free, reliable and basic options for websites owners to find traffic details. Universal Analytics or Google Analytics version 3 is so easy to setup that almost every website owner uses this on their sites. However, Google will replace the existing GA3 version with GA4 version in July 2023. If you wonder how to find the GA4 tracking code, we will explain the simple steps here. If you want to implement the tracking code, check out our earlier articles on setting up Google Analytics in WordPress, Weebly and using PHP implementation.
Why to Find GA4 Tracking Code?
There are many situations you want to find the tracking code in your accounts:
- Since the GA4 interface is new, you want to know where the heck is the code.
- You have clicked a notification or someone helped you to setup the new GA4 and you want to get the code now.
- Some plugins in WordPress allows you to use only the measurement ID. If you re changing the plugin, you need to get the complete code from your Analytics account.
GA4 Tracking Code in Google Analytics Account
Whatsoever is the reason, follow the below instructions to get the GA4 tracking code. Remember, the entire tracking script in GA4 is called as Google tag. The code in the script that starts with G- is the measurement ID used in GA4. This is same as the UA- tracking code used in Universal Analytics.
- Login to your Google Analytics account.
- Go to the “Admin” section by clicking on the fear icon showing at the bottom of the left sidebar.
- When you are in “Admin” section, select your website name from “Account” dropdown.
- Now, select your GA4 property from “Property” dropdown.
- Select “Data Streams” option showing in “Property” column.
- Go to “Web” tab and click on your property name showing in the list.
- On the “Web stream details” page, you can find the “Measurement ID” for your stream. If you only want the measurement ID (or tracking code), simply click the copy icon showing next to the ID.
- If you want to get the complete tracking script or Google tag code, scroll to the bottom and click on “View tag instructions” heading. If you want to change the tracking parameters, then click on the gear icon showing under “Enhanced measurement” section and select the needed parameters.
- Go to “Install manually” tab where you can find the complete GA4 tracking script with measurement ID.
- Click on the copy icon showing on the top right corner of the code block to get the code into your clipboard.
- You can paste the code in the header section of your website to start tracking the traffic details.
As you can see in the above screens, you should see “Receiving traffic in past 48 hours” and “Data flowing” after successful implementation on your site.
Creating a New GA4 Tracking Code
If you want to create a new tracking code for your site, then the process is almost same as explained above.
- Go to “Admin” section in your Analytics account.
- Click on the “+ Create Account” button in first column and add your details.
- Select the created account and click on “+ Create Property” in second column.
- After creating a property, go to “Data Streams” and click on the property showing under “Web” data streams.
- Enable required parameters like page views and scroll under “Enhanced measurement” section”.
- Click “View tag configuration” section to get your tracking script code to insert in your site’s header.