It is a common requirement for webmasters to accept a pre-approved automatic payments in PayPal. For example, you need to accept automatic payment when purchasing the most popular Astra WordPress theme and Perfmatters performance optimization plugin. However, it is necessary to cancel the pre-approved automatic payments when you no more needed the service from merchant. This is to avoid the recurring billing in case if you forgot to disable the pre-approved services. In this article, we will explain how to cancel automatic payments in PayPal.
PayPal Automatic Payment
Many users do not aware of the automatic payment when purchasing an item. The automatic payment will lead to recurring payment that is pre-approved by you. Below is how it will look when you purchase Perfmatters plugin from the developer’s site.
Why to Cancel Automatic Payments?
Generally, the automatic payment is setup with periodic interval like every year or monthly. It may look easy to go with automatic payment as you do not need to remember and pay the bill. However, the problem comes when you do not want to use the service any more. You have to proactively cancel the automatic payment to prevent unnecessary billing.
There is another problem for PayPal India users. Reserve Bank of India stopped the automatic payment processing through credit and debit cards. You will receive a One Time Password (OTP) in your mobile phone to validate the automatic payments with the value more than Rs.5000. If you have any recurring payments, PayPal would have sent an email to you asking for cancelling the automatic payment and work with the seller directly to arrange alternate payment options.
How to Cancel Automatic Payments in PayPal?
There are two ways to cancel the automatic payments in PayPal.
- You have to proactively cancel the subscription from the seller’s site
- Cancel the automatic payment setup in your PayPal account
Cancel Payments Through Seller’s Website
In this case, you have to login to the seller’s website with the account you have used for purchasing the product. If you do not want to use the item, simply cancel the subscription and make sure you get the confirmation email from them that the automatic payment is cancelled.
If you want to use the product, then the best option is to discuss with the seller on how to pay them without automatic payments from PayPal.
Cancel Automatic Payments in PayPal Account
Instead of going through seller’s website, you can also simply cancel the active automatic payments directly from your PayPal account.
- Login to your PayPal account and click on the gear settings icon on the top menu.
- When you are in the settings page, click on “Payments” menu and then click on “Manage Automatic Payments” button.
- PayPal will show the list of active and inactive merchants with whom you have setup pre-approved automatic payments.
- Select the merchant and then click “Cancel” button showing against the “Status” section.
- Confirm the cancellation by pressing “Cancel Automatic Payments” button.
- If everything goes right, you will see a success message showing “You’re all set”. Click “Done” button to close the page and return to your account’s dashboard.
Note: PayPal also setup automatic payments when you select quick checkout option. You can view the list of sellers you have setup quick checkout in the same automatic payments section and deactivate the quick checkout.
Demo of Cancelling Automatic Payments in PayPal
Below is the demo of how to cancel automatic payments.