Google AdSense is one of the most popular advertising programs for content creators to make money. Whether you have a blog or business site with Weebly, you can easily use the drag and drop elements and display AdSense ads. However, there are some restrictions and things are changed completely in the way you can integrate AdSense with Weebly.
Bit of History – Weebly and AdSense Revenue Sharing
Earlier days Weebly used to offer a revenue sharing option with Google AdSense program. You could either apply for new AdSense account or use your existing AdSense account details. AdSense element was available under “Commerce” category which allowed you to create a new AdSense account and integrate it to your site seamlessly.
Google has advertising partners for AdSense under revenue sharing agreement and the partners deduct certain portion of AdSense revenue from the publishers account for the service they provide. Weebly was one of such revenue sharing sites and was deducting half of the revenue generated from your AdSense account that is 50/50.
Current Situation – You Get 100% Revenue
As per announcement from Weebly from 01 October 2013, the revenue sharing program was discontinued and AdSense publishers will get their 100% revenue directly from Google. This means, Google pays 100% of the money to your account and nothing is deducted by Weebly. So, now this is like displaying AdSense ad on hosted platforms like Blogspot.
Note: Remember, Google will still deduct revenue as per AdSense contract. Only thing is, Weebly will not deduct any additional revenue for showing ads on their platform.
Integrating Google AdSense in Weebly
With the current situation, there are three possible ways to add AdSense ads in your Weebly site:
- Google AdSense Element – by authorizing Weebly as a hosted partner for free sites.
- Embed Code Element – manually add Weebly site in AdSense account.
- Edit Source HTML Templates – same as above, you need to manually add site in AdSense account and get approval from Google.
The first option for using Weebly as a hosted partner will work for free Weebly sites. For other two options, you need a custom high-level domain since Google AdSense needs a high-level domain for approval (both for a new account or for adding a new site). However, we noticed Weebly does not allow ad display on free sites using any of the above methods in most cases. So, if you really wanted to make money from your Weebly site, make sure you have a custom domain with at least Professional plan which allows to remove the Square ads. If you are using free site, get 10% discount and upgrade to any premium Weebly plans.
1. Using Google AdSense Element in Weebly
In this method, you need to authorize and connect Weebly site to your AdSense account.
- Login to your Weebly account and edit the site in which you want insert ad code.
- When you are in “Build” tab, scroll down to “More” section on the elements list.
- Drag and drop Google AdSense element in your site content area as shown in the below picture.
- Once you dropped “Google AdSense” element into your site content area, you will be prompted to authorize Weebly to integrate with your AdSense account.
- Clicking on “Authorize” link will take you to Google account login page.
- If you already have an existing AdSense account, login with that and Google will redirect back to your Weebly site for setting up.
- If you are not an existing AdSense publisher, login with your Gmail and create a new AdSense account.
- In both cases, you need to enter site details and submit the form for approval. Your application will be sent to Google for review and Weebly has no influence on approval process.
1.1. Customizing Google AdSense Element in Weebly
You will see a sample text ad in Weebly editor and a blank space in the published site till the time your application is approved by Google. It will take few days up to a week time for Google to review and respond to your application.
If Google approves your AdSense application then you can place ads in your site’s pages using Google AdSense element. After inserting the element, click on it and select “Palette” or “Advanced” option for customizing the ad display directly from your Weebly site.
Under “Advanced” settings, you can customize the colors, banner and ad types.
2. Insert AdSense Ads Using Embed Code Element
If you have an existing AdSense account and a Weebly site with custom domain, then you can using Embed Code element is much easier than using Google AdSense element. If you do not have a Weebly blog, learn more about creating a free Weebly blog.
- First, go to your AdSense account and add your Weebly site under “Sites” section.
- Wait for few days to get approval from Google and get the ad code after approval.
- Login to your Weebly account and edit the site in which you want to add your AdSense code.
- You will be taken to Weebly editor and under “Basic” category in “Build” tab, find “Embed Code” element.
- Drag the Embed Code element into suitable place in your site content area.
- Paste your AdSense ad code inside the element.
- Publish your site and you can see the Google ads are instantly showing on your site.
3. Insert AdSense Ads in Weebly By Editing HTML Templates
This is also an option only when you have an approved AdSense account. Embed Code allows you to manually place ads in content, header or footer area. However, you need to insert the element on each page manually and can’t use in places like below top navigation menu area. The solution is to insert the code in your HTML templates so that the ad will display on all pages in the desired placement.
- Make sure to add Weebly site in your AdSense account and get approval from Google.
- When editing the site, go to “Theme” section and click “Edit HTML / CSS” button showing on bottom left corner.
- This will take you to Weebly Code Editor and select the HTML template under “Header Type” section.
- Insert your ad code in correct place like after head tag, after navigation, etc.
- Click “Save” button and provide a new name for you theme.
- Publish your site and you will see the ad showing on all the pages that use the header type where you inserted AdSense ad code.
If you want to use AdSense Auto Ads in Weebly site, place the ad code just above the closing </head> tag in all header types. Alternatively, you can insert the code under “Settings > SEO > Header Code” section in Weebly site editor.
Frequently Asked Questions on Using AdSense in Weebly
AdSense policies remain same regardless of whether you apply through Weebly or apply directly.
When using Google AdSense element, you can customize the ad appearance like size and type within Weebly site editor. You can use Google AdSense element in Weebly only with the hosted account by authorizing Weebly to connect with your AdSense account. For using Embed Code, you need to get the ad code from your AdSense account and manually paste in Weebly editor. Other than that, there are no differences in using different elements.
The official setup allows Weebly hosted account to use Google AdSense element and shows AdSense ads on free sites. However, in most cases Weebly does not show ads on free sites and you need to upgrade to Professional or higher level premium plan. This is needed for using custom domain and removing the square ads before you display AdSense ads.
Earlier, Weebly used to deduct 50% of revenue. However, currently there is no revenue is deducted and you will get 100% amount from Google.
If your application is rejected then Weebly cannot help to fix the issues, you need to make changes and resubmit your application to Google. You can check sample AdSense rejection letters to avoid common mistakes done by other website owners.
Weebly does not show any revenue reports for AdSense in the dashboard “Reports” section. You need to go to AdSense account and use various reports available for checking revenue and other details.