“Gboard – the Google Keyboard” is the official keyboard layout app from Google. Most Android phone models use this as a default keyboard while users can also install custom keyboard layout apps from Google Play store. If you are switching from Android to iPhone or bored with the default iPhone keyboard, here is how to setup and use Gboard keyboard in iPhone.
Default iPhone Keyboard Layout
The default iOS keyboard allows you to insert emoji, Animoji or Memoji in certain apps like Messages. You can add additional languages and toggle the layout while using the keyboard. Other than this, you do not have any option for changing the theme or inserting stickers. You need third-party apps for customizing the appearance and Gboard will be the good option if you are also using Android phone.
Gboard – the Google Keyboard
Gboard offers the following options which will be useful while typing text:
- You can search using Google and insert relevant content right from the keyboard without leaving the app.
- Search for emoji, GIF and stickers to insert in your messages and chat conversations.
- Add custom theme to change the color and appearance of your keyboard.
- Enable one-handed layout to handle the typing with single hand.
- Use YouTube, Google Translate and Maps to find relevant content and share instantly.
In summary, if you are always using Google services then Gboard is the must use app for your iPhone.
Installing and Enabling Gboard in iPhone
You can go to the App Store and install the app like any other app on your iPhone.
However, you need to enable the app to replace the default keyboard.
- Open Gboard app to see list of items and tap the first “Set up Gboard” option.
- This will show you the instructions to setup Gboard on your iPhone along with a button to open iPhone settings. Tap on “Get Started” button to go to iPhone keyboard settings page. Alternatively, you can also open “Gboard” app from the “Settings” app in iPhone.
- When you are in Gboard settings page, tap on “Keyboards” option.
- Enable “Gboard” and “Allow Full Access” options.
- You will see a warning message indicating the app can transmit anything you type on your keyboard. Tap “Allow” option to enable the access.
Now, that you can enabled the access for Gboard app in your iPhone.
Toggling Keyboard Layout
Launch any app that opens a keyboard layout like Messages. Tap and hold on the globe icon showing on the lower left corner of the keyboard. You will see a list of available keyboard layouts on your iPhone and select “Gboard” to switch the layout.
You will see the keyboard layout now changed to use Gboard layout.
Using One-handed Gboard Layout in iPhone
When you are in Gboard layout, tap and hold on the gear icon showing left to the spacebar. You can select the one-hand mode to use the keyboard on right-hand side.
You can tap the arrow or expand icons to move the layout to left-hand side or revert to full mode respectively.
Using Google Search and Other Services
As mentioned, the ultimate purpose of using Gboard in iPhone is to integrate Google Search and other services to your keyboard.
- Tap on the Google icon showing just above the keys.
- Enter your keyboard and press search key on the keyboard.
- You will get the relevant web, image and GIF results similar to Google Search.
When you tap on the web search results, Google will insert the URL of the website in the text box. However, tapping on the images and GIF will copy the item your clipboard. Now, you can tap on the text box and paste.
Similarly, you can use Translate, YouTube and Maps right inside your keyboard. One of the useful options is to search the places nearby you and share the location to your friends.
Insert Emoji, Sticker and GIF with Gboard in iPhone
The fun part of using Gboard is to use the large number of emoji, stickers and GIF. Tap on the smiley icon showing on the keyboard to switch the Gboard layout to emoji keyboard layout. Now, you can search your favorite emoji and insert in the messages. You can tap on the sticker, GIF or text emoticon icons and to view the corresponding results.
Using Gboard Themes and Stickers
The best part of using Gboard app is that you can change the keyboard theme and use custom stickers. Open Gboard app and tap on “Themes” option. You can choose one of the default themes available in the app like light, dark or landscape mode. Otherwise, tap on the “Custom” option to add any photo from your iPhone Photos library as your theme.
Similarly, tap on “Stickers” option to view and send stickers to your contacts. You can also create own stickers from your photos and send in WhatsApp and other social apps.
Other Gboard Settings
The app also offers few other additional settings.
- Languages – add your favorite language in the keyboard.
- Search settings – customize the Search by sharing location and clearing Gboard search history.
- Dot shortcuts – create a shortcut word that you can use along with a dot when typing and assign text replacement with emoji, sticker or GIF. This is an easy way to use your stickers like type .face to see the assigned stickers and insert quickly.
- Keyboard settings – here you can customize lot of options for making the Gboard app to the maximum. For example, you can enable glide typing, voice input, emoji suggestions, auto-correction, one-handed mode, dot shortcut and number row.
As you see, Gboard app offers plenty of customizations for your iPhone keyboard. You can directly insert Google Search results, share location with Maps, share YouTube videos and insert stickers and GIF which you can’t do with the default iOS keyboard. You can also change the theme and use it as a good alternative to the default keyboard.