Cent is a currency symbol representing 1/100 of a unit, for example 1USD = 100¢. It is also called by other names like penny or centavo with similar monetary value. Cent sign is written in different ways like a stroke on letter c. However, here we will explain how to type proper cent sign using keyboard shortcuts.
Alt Code Shortcuts for Cent Sign
Cent sign is part of Unicode character set which is a standard for typing text characters. You can use the Unicode value with alt code shortcuts to insert this sign in Windows and Mac based documents.
|Symbol Name||Cent Sign ¢|
|Windows Shortcut||Alt + 162|
|Word Shortcut||00A2 Alt + X|
|Mac Shortcut||Option + 00A2|
|HTML Entity Decimal||¢|
|HTML Entity Hexadecimal||¢|
|HTML Entity Name||¢|
Cent Sign ¢ Shortcuts for Windows
On Windows computers, you can use one of the below methods to insert Cent sign.
- Alt code shortcuts – You can press alt key and 0162 in Windows to type cent sign ¢. However, you need to use separate number pad on your keyboard to type the numbers.
- Hexadecimal code for Word – On Windows based Word documents, you can type 00A2 and press alt + x keys to convert the code into a cent symbol.
Type Cent Sign in MacBook With Keyboard
On Mac, follow the below steps to insert Cent sign.
- Press option key with 00A2 keys to insert cent sign ¢.
- However, you should change the input method to Unicode Hex Input to use this shortcut.
- Alternatively, you can use option + 4 keys to insert cent sign. This should work with normal ABC English input.
Insert Cent Sign in HTML
&# 162 ; or hex code
&#x 00A2 ; or entity name
& cent ; to insert the sign in HTML documents. Below is the example code for inserting cent symbol in HTML using decimal, hexadecimal and entity name.
<span>¢</span> <span>¢</span> <span>¢</span>
Fullwidth Cent Sign
Unicode also has another cent sign named “Fullwidth Cent Sign”. This is available under “Halfwidth and Fullwidth Forms” category to support double-byte Chinese, Japanese and Korean characters. You can insert this fullwidth cent sign using
Alt + 65504 in Windows and
Option + FFE0 in Mac.
Cent Sign Browser Display
Below is the display of cent sign and fullwidth cent sign respectively.
Other Option for Typing Cent Sign
If the keyboard shortcuts are not working, then you can try the symbols app in Windows and Mac.
Using Character Map in Windows
You can use Character Map app to insert the symbol in Windows computers.
- Open the app by using Windows Search.
- Type cent in the “Search for:” text box of the app and hit search button.
- This will filter the cent and other symbols.
- Double click on cent sign and the app will show the sign in “Characters to copy” text box.
- Click on “Copy” button to copy the symbol to clipboard.
- After copying, you can paste the symbol any application with Control + V shortcut.
Using Character Viewer in Mac
Similar to Windows, you can use Character Viewer app in Mac to insert cent sign.
- Press “Control + Command + Space” to open Character Viewer app. Alternatively, you can go to “Edit > Emoji & Symbols” menu from any app.
- Search for “cent sign” to filter related symbols.
- Click on the cent sign to insert on your document.
Insert Cent Sign in Mobile
It is also easy to insert cent sign in iOS and Android smartphones.
- Press and hold $ key.
- This will show a pop-up with few currency symbols like Cent, Euro, Yen, Pound, etc.
- Tap on the cent sign to insert.