New tab page is the one you see whenever you click on the + icon next to your last open tab in the browser’s title bar. You can also open a new tab page by pressing “Control + T” in Windows and “Command + T” in macOS. Each browser app has its own new tab page design showing different items. Microsoft Edge’s new tab page by default shows quick links and news feed along with search box, favorites bar and few other items. If you are annoyed with quick links and news feed, here is how you can remove them from your new tab page in Edge.
Why to Remove Quick Links and News Feed?
Below is how the Edge browser based on new Chromium code will look like when you launch. Though the screenshot shows in Mac version, it will have similar cluttered interface in Windows as well. Below the Edge symbol, you can find quick links and news feed section. Quick links will show the shortcut thumbnails of some default sites like Office.com and Bing.com when you first launch the browser. After that, it will start picking up the items from your history and show frequently visited pages. The news feed contains feed from MSN.com, Bing.com and other Microsoft websites. You can customize the feed or scroll down and view the latest and popular news in your region.
There are many reasons you need to remove quick links and news feed:
- Quick links can be useful to access the webpages, however, it can affect your privacy by showing the pages from your browsing history. You may feel annoyed to see unwanted thumbnails when launching the browser in front of your colleague or family member. Now, Microsoft also started showing ads (called sponsored links) in Quick Links section.
- The news feed can easily distract you when you want to do some important tasks. You will be last with the vast news and end up in wasting the time. In addition, you may not like msn.com or bing.com pages showing by default in the feed. Finally, there are advertisements in the news feed that can annoy use and slow down the browser when you open a new tab page.
At any case, it is good to remove the clutter on your browser and keep it clean to focus on your task.
How to Remove Quick Links and News Feed in Edge?
Good part is that you can customize the new tab page in Edge in different ways as per your convenient. We will explain all possible ways and you can choose the best option that fits for you. Though Chrome browser also uses the same source code, removing thumbnails in Chrome is somewhat different process than Edge.
1. Delete Individual Quick Link Thumbnail
The first option is to remove individual thumbnail of a webpage shortcut showing in the quick links section.
- Hover over the mouse on the item you want to delete and click on the three dots icon.
- It will show you two options for renaming and deleting the icon.
- Select “Remove” option to delete it from the quick links section.
This is useful if you want to delete a single item and you will not visit the page again. Otherwise, the shortcut will start appearing again from your browsing history section.
2. Manually Hide or Show Quick Links
The next option is to hide the quick links and show them manually when you need. Click on the small up arrow button just above the quick links section that shows “Collapse quick links”.
Now, Edge will hide all thumbnail favicons and you can manually click on the “Quick links” link to show them again.
Edge will remember your settings and will hide or show quick links when you launch the browser next time onwards.
3. Disable Ads in Quick Links Shortcut Icons
If you are annoyed with advertisements showing in the Quick Links section as website icons, then it is easy to disable them. Click the gear icon and turn off “Show sponsored links” option. This will remove the ads in Quick Links and only show website icons from your browsing history.
4. Disable Quick Links Section in New Tab Page
This option will completely remove the quick links section from Edge new tab page.
- Click on the gear icon showing inside the top right corner of the Edge browser’s new tab page.
- By default, Edge will use “Inspirational” page layout. Click on “Custom” option.
- You will see the “Quick links” section by default uses 1 row option. Select “Off” to turn off quick links in new tab pages.
5. Disable News Feed in Edge
You can click on the “Personalize” button showing above the news feed section and customize the appearance of your feed on new tab page. However, you can also disable the news feed to avoid distractions.
- Click on the gear icon and then click “Custom” page layout option.
- By default, the “Content” section uses the option “Content partially visible”.
- Click on the “Content” dropdown and select “Off” option.
This will completely disable the news feed in Edge new tab page. Below is how the browser will look without quick links and news feed.
6. Customize Startup and Home Pages in Edge
Sometimes, what you want is not to change the new tab page but to customize the startup or home page. For example, you want to set a custom startup page of your favorite news website so that you can read the news when launching the browser. Similarly, you may want to set a custom home page to manually visit the page.
- Go to edge://settings/ shortcut URL in the browser’s address bar.
- Navigate to “start, home, and new tabs” section from the sidebar.
- Here you can customize the startup behavior under “when Edge Starts” section. Select “Open these pages:” option and click on “Add a New Page” button. Enter the website URL that you want to open when launching Edge and add to this section. Now, Edge will launch with the entered webpage instead of a new tab page.
- Similarly, you can set a custom home page to avoid opening a new tab page as your home.
Remember, startup and home page settings will not change your new tab page. However, you can avoid opening a new tab page frequently by using custom pages for these settings.
Note: clicking on “Customize” button under “New Tab Page” section in this settings page will ultimately take you to the new tag page. you can click on the gear icon and customize the quick links, background and feed content as explained above. If you want to use news feed in your new tab page, make sure to enable “Preload the new tab page for a faster experience” option to improve the loading speed.
7. Customize New Tab Page with Edge Add-ons
The last option is to use a third-party add-on and customize the appearance of your new tab page. New tab also contains few more items like search box, Edge icon showing at the center, weather, app launcher and favorites bar. You can remove the favorites bar by going to the “Appearance” section of the edge://settings/appearance page. However, you need a custom theme or add-on for removing other items.
- Go to Edge add-ons page and search for “new tab”.
- You can find plenty of add-ons for changing the new tab page to blank or force to use custom URL.
- Install the add-on you like and use the new tab page as per your convenient.
You can also try custom themes or use extensions from Google Chrome Web Store on your Edge browser. Since, Edge runs with Chromium base code like Google Chrome browser, all Chrome extensions will also work on your Edge browser.
We hope now you can remove quick links and news feed in Microsoft Edge new tab page. Instead of quick links and news feed, you can use bookmarks bar and custom startup/home page respectively. This will help to keep the browser clean, allow you to access the pages that you like without forced distractions. If required, you can also use third-party extensions offering custom themes to change the appearance of your new tab page.