Windows 11 comes with a free AI chatbot tool from Microsoft called Copilot (earlier known as Bing Chat). You can use this Copilot to get things done within your system like launching an app or get answers for any queries from the internet. As of now, Apple did not come up with any default AI tool for macOS and it does not seem to happen in new feature. If you like Copilot, here is how you can install Copilot app on your Mac.
Install Copilot App in Mac from Safari
- Launch Safari app and open Microsoft Copilot website.
- Click the “Sign in” button and select “Sign in with a personal account” option.
- Login with your Microsoft account and you will see all previous chat history from Windows 11 or from Copilot website.
- Now, go to “File” menu in Safari and select “Add to Dock…” option.
- On the pop-up that appears, provide a name for your Copilot app and click on the “Add” button. You can leave the default name as Copilot or change it to any name like AI Chatbot.
- You will see the Copilot app is added in your Dock and click on it.
- Copilot will open as an independent app logged in with your Microsoft account.
You can logout from Safari window and anytime launch Copilot from the Dock. In this way, you can use Copilot as an app for chatting and get the response like the way you use on website or in Windows PC.
Install Copilot App in Mac from Chrome
If you are using Chrome on Mac and do not use Safari for any reason, here is how you can install Microsoft Copilot app on your Mac. Remember, Copilot will be very slow on Mac which is a deliberate action from Microsoft to push users to another browser.
- Launch Chrome app and go to Microsoft Copilot website.
- Click the three vertical dots icon and go to “Save and Share > Create Shortcut…” option.
- Type a name for the Copilot app (or leave as it is), check “Open as window” option and click “Create” button.
- Chrome will create Copilot app and adds it in your Dock.
- You will also see the Finder app opens and shows the Chrome Copilot app’s location.
You can anytime launch Copilot from Dock without opening Chrome browser and login with your Microsoft account to start chatting. Note that Chrome will add the app shortcut in chrome://apps section in the browser. You can also launch the app from this section.
You can follow similar process on Edge Mac version as both Chrome and Edge use the same Chromium backend.
Installing Copilot iPhone or iPad App on Mac
Microsoft also offers Copilot app for Apple’s iPad. If you have a Mac with Apple silicon processor (M series), you can install the iPad app on your Mac. Remember that iPad will not be available on Intel based Macs and you should use the same Apple account on both devices.
- Go Mac App Store and search for “Copilot” app.
- Click on the “iPhone & iPad Apps” tab on the results page.
- Find and install Copilot app on your Mac.
You will see a message showing “Designed for iPad. Not verified for macOS” message below the app name indicating that app is an iPad app.
Unfortunately, Copilot app (and the service itself) is not available in countries like China and Russia. You will not find this app if your Apple account belongs to one of these countries. So, the best option is to use Safari or Chrome and install the app from the browser. You can use VPN to change the location to US and start using the Copilot app.
Uninstalling Copilot App in Mac
If you do not want to use the app anymore, you can simply uninstall it anytime.
- Installed from Mac Store – go to Applications folder in Finder. Drag and drop Copilot app to Trash bin.
- Installed from Safari – right-click on the Dock icon and select “Options > Show in Finder” to open its location. Now, right-click on the Copilot app icon and select “Move to Trash” option.
- Installed from Chrome – launch Copilot app from Dock, click on the three vertical dots and select “Uninstall Copilot…” option. On the pop-up that appears, check “Also delete data from Chrome (copilot.microsoft.com)” and click “Remove” button.
Why You Should Install Copilot App Instead of ChatGPT?
You might wonder why to install Copilot app on Mac when ChatGPT is available as a free app. Yes, it is true that you can easily use the ChatGPT app for similar conversational chatting. However, there are many advantages in installing free Microsoft Copilot as an app compared to ChatGPT.
- Free version of ChatGPT uses version 3.5 which is restricted with the data from January 2022. On other hand, Copilot uses the latest version 4 with the latest data.
- ChatGPT free version can only support text-based queries and can’t generate images. Copilot can generate images with DALL-E using Bing Image Creator.
If you want to get image creation and version 4 in ChatGPT, you need to go from a Plus plan and pay $20 per month. With Copilot app, you can get these features for free and use them unlimitedly.
Note: Microsoft also offers Copilot Pro with additional features for $20 per month subscription. However, this is not needed for a personal use as you can use the free app unlimitedly.