Google Chrome offers many default features that may not be useful for all users. Bookmarks bar is one of the items in the browser’s interface that appears on all tabs. This bookmarks bar contains different types of items and again some items are included by default. Apps and Reading list are two items that occupy Chrome bookmarks bar by default. In this article, we will explain a simple trick to disable Apps and Reading list in Chrome bookmarks bar.
Apps and Reading List
When you launch Chrome browser, you can see the bookmarks bar contains two items. One is Apps in the top left corner and other is Reading list on top right corner.
You can’t drag and rearrange these two items and they stay intact crushing your bookmarked items. If you have plenty of your own bookmarked items, these default items will unnecessarily occupy the space.
- Apps – this button allows you to view all installed apps in your browser. You can quickly go to Chrome Web Store by using this Apps button.
- Reading list – this button helps you to view all webpages you have added in the reading list and allow you to access them for later.
Disable Apps Button
If you are not using Apps and Reading list features in Chrome, these buttons in the bookmarks bar are unnecessary. You can disable them and use the full length of bookmarks for your own items.
- Open Chrome and check if you see bookmarks bar below the address bar. If not, press “Command + Shift + B” in macOS and “Control + Shift + B” in Windows computer to show the bookmarks bar.
- Now, right click on the bookmarks bar.
- Click on “Show apps shortcut” menu and disable it. Remember, no checkmark in front of the option indicates, it is disabled.
Disable Readling List
Similar to Apps button, you can also disable Reading list in Chrome. Simply right click on the bookmarks bar and select “Show reading list” option. Make sure there is no checkmark in front of this option indicating it is disabled.
Enable Them Back
You can easily and enable them whenever you want them back by selecting it from the right click menu. You can disable only Apps or Reading list or both of them as you need. With this you can enjoy the full length of bookmarks bar without default items.
Note that you can access Chrome Apps by using the command URL chrome://apps in the address bar. Since this is an easy to remember URL, you do not need the Apps button in bookmarks bar at all. However, we do not see any shortcuts for accessing Reading list other than enabling it from right click menu.
Leave a Reply
Your email is safe with us.