Keeping a task list and tracking the progress is one of the routine activities for most users. Apple’s macOS comes with a Reminders app which you can make use for creating a task list and reminders. Similarly, Windows offers multiple options for managing your routine tasks. In this article, we will explain three different apps you can use for setup reminders in Windows 11 computers.
Using Task List and Reminders
If you are always forgetting personal and organizational work, then it is high time to keep things organized. You can follow the below steps to make sure you are on track with your tasks:
- List down all your tasks with due dates
- Prioritize the tasks by settings follow up and reminders
- Track the progress to remove finished tasks from the list and add new tasks.
Many users write down the tasks on colorful sticky notes papers and paste all over the monitor or top of the laptop. Some also use Sticky Notes app in Windows to make this digital. However, using stick notes will only add confusion to your work as it has no reminding or tracking mechanism. You can make use of one of the below apps to setup reminders for your tasks and improve the productivity.
1. Setup Reminders Using Microsoft To Do App
Microsoft To Do is a free app that allows you to create and group your task lists. You can add notes to tasks, add up to 25 MB attachment and most important sync with Microsoft Outlook. Microsoft To Do app is available for Windows, Mac, Android and iOS platforms. So, you can easily sync your tasks across all your devices using this app.
- Open Microsoft Store app, search and find “Microsoft To Do: Lists, Tasks & Reminders” app. Click “Get” button to install the app on your computer.
- After installing the app, open it and login with your Microsoft account. The app will show quick menu items in the sidebar for you to easily create tasks, lists and groups.
- Click on “Getting Started” list to understand managing your tasks inside the app.
- Click on the “New List” option showing on lower left corner and name your list. After that, enter your tasks in “Add a task” text box. The app also comes with a sample list called “Groceries” with few tasks added in that list.
- Click on any added task in the list to view its additional options. You can prioritize the tasks by adding it to my day, add notes, assign the task to someone else, make the task repeating, attach files and set reminder.
- Click “Remind me” option and select the date and time for the reminder. By default, you will see tomorrow and next week options. Click on “Pick a date & time” option to set a custom time for the reminder.
- When you setup a reminder, the app will add the task under “Planned” section. You will also see an alarm icon under the task with the due date.
- When the due date/time is reached, To Do app will send a notification reminder using default Windows notification setup. This means you will receive a reminder like below in lower right corner of the screen. Make sure you are not using Focus session or disabled notifications. When the reminder arrives, you can either click on “Snooze” or “Complete” button to dismiss it. Snoozing will send the notification after 5 minutes and completing will mark the task as completed in To Do app.
- You can find the completed tasks in To Do app with strike through mark under “Completed” section of the list.
2. Setup Reminder for Events in Calendar App
Calendar is a free app that comes as part of Windows operating system. Good thing is that you switch between Mail, To Do and other apps directly from the Calendar app. What you can do is to add your email calendar in Calendar app and create events. You can set reminder to get notification before the event starts so that all participants remember and prepare for it. Though this is not really a reminder app like Microsoft To Do, you can use it for event reminders with any mailbox.
- Open Calendar app and click on the “Settings” icon showing on bottom of left pane.
- You will see a list of menu items on last right pane and click “Manage Accounts” link.
- Click on “Add account” and connect your email account with Calendar app. After adding your email account, click on “New Event” link.
- Fill out the details of your event dates and invite people if required. You can also keep it as a private event without inviting anyone. Make sure to select the correct calendar by clicking the dropdown next to event name.
- Finally, click the “Reminder” dropdown and set the reminder time to get notified before the before the event.
- If you want to setup repeat event, click on “Repeat” icon and setup the start/end time and frequency.
- Save your event and it will instantly block the time in your Calendar app.
The time will also be blocked in your email calendar (like Outlook). You will get a reminder notification as per the set time from Calendar app as well as from your email client.
3. Set Reminders for Outlook Tasks
You can view Microsoft To Do tasks from your Outlook app when using the same account.
However, it is also possible to manage tasks directly within Outlook app. This is a good option if you do not want to use an additional app (either Calendar or Microsoft To Do).
- Open Outlook, go to Tasks section and click “New Task” from tool bar.
- Fill out the details for your task and check “Reminder” option. Setup date and time for the reminder then save and close the task.
- You can anytime view the task and change the reminder time or update the completion % progress. It is also possible to assign the task to someone or send a status report in email with your task details.
This is a cool way to track your task progress and Outlook will notify you at the set reminder date/time. Note that creating an appointment in Outlook is same as creating an event in Calendar app as explained above.
Microsoft To Do is the best app to create task lists and setup reminders in Windows 11. However, you can also try other two options and choose the one that works for you. There are also many other third-party apps available in Microsoft Store for this purpose. Whatsoever is the app you choose; make sure to keep your tasks updated and monitor the progress to get an overall improvement in your routine.