Changing Name of Single File or Folder
You can easily change the name of any file or folder in Windows by right clicking and choosing ‘Rename’ option. Also selecting the file or folder and press F2 to edit the name. But do you know how to bulk rename files in Windows 10?
Suppose you’re doing some job in the company and suddenly a batch of not properly named Excel or Word documents comes in your way. Sequentially renaming these files one by one could be a hectic job, especially based on the time of creation of the file. But you would like to know in Windows you can do this very easily. In this guide, we are going to show you a default way to rename your files within few seconds. Also let us explain, how to do this with the third party application in an efficient way.
Bulk Rename Files With a Simple Trick
This is a simple trick and we are going to take an example to show it to you. We have a bunch of .txt files in a folder. They are not properly named right now. We are going to change them with a single name which we wanted. So, let’s see how to do this and you can follow the same process for renaming your files and folder.
- Open your folder which contains a bunch of files. As you can see in the screenshot below, we have 10 files named unknown file.
- This is an example, so you see all the dates in the ‘Date modified’ column are same. In reality the files could be created and modified in different dates. When you want to sequentially name the files based on the modification date, first ensure to click on the date modified and sort the files based on that column.
- Select all of them, right click on any of the files and select ‘Rename’ option from the context menu.
- Now, type whatever name you want to name those files and hit enter. In our example, we change the names to ‘original file’.
- All those files will be renamed like ‘original file(1)’, ‘original file(2)’, etc.
Bulk Rename Files With Software ‘Renamer’
You can download this software from the developer’s site. Renamer contains lot of options for changing names of the files. It allows you to insert, delete, remove, replace words/character in prefix/suffix or in a specific position. There are many options and we can’t discuss all of them here. Our main focus is to rename a bunch of files.
- Open Renamer software on your PC and add a folder to it. From the top menu, you’ll see ‘add folders’ button, click on that and add a folder in which you have your files. You can simply drag files to the bottom sections if you have less of them.
- Now, click on ‘Add’ button. From here, you are going to add a rule.
- Select ‘Replace’ option from the left-side menu.
- Type the old name which you want to replace or change in ‘Find’. Type the new name in ‘Replace’. Click on ‘Add rule’.
- You’ll see the ‘new name’ column will turn into red column but right now it’s not permanently changed.
- You need to click on ‘Rename’ button from the top to make it a permanent change.
Related: How to speedup Windows 10 PC?