How to Open Chrome in Incognito Mode by Default?
Incognito mode is used to avoid saving third-party cookies, caches and helps in browsing internet securely. Some of you use Chrome’s incognito mode a lot rather than the standard mode. You can open incognito mode in many different ways:
- Go to ‘Files > New Incognito Window’.
- Press ‘Shift + Control + N’ in Windows or ‘Shift + Command + N’ in Mac to open ingonito window.
- Click on the three dots button called ‘ Customize and control Google Chrome’ and select ‘New Ingonito Window’ option.
So it is very easy to open incognito window whenever you need. But you might be wondering that how to make Google Chrome’s incognito mode as a default browser mode. This means whenever you open Chrome, it will automatically open in incognito mode instead of normal mode. Let’s see how we can do this.
Open Chrome in Incognito Mode by Default in Windows 10
It’s just a simple shortcut-edit process, all you have to do is follow the steps given below:
Press ‘Win + E’ shortcut keys and open File Explorer. Copy and paste this path C:\Program Files (x86)\Google\Chrome\Application in the top bar to quickly find the Google Chrome application. Now, press enter.
When you are inside Chrome Application folder, you’ll see the .exe Chrome application file. Just right click on it and choose ‘Send to > Desktop (create shortcut)’ option. This will add a shortcut to Chrome on your desktop.
When you’ve got your shortcut on your desktop, it’s time to add a target command for it. Right-click on your Google Chrome desktop shortcut and open properties.
Now, at the end of the target path, leave a space and write -incognito as shown in the below picture.
Then, click on ‘Apply’ and then click on ‘OK’ buttons. Now, double click on the Chrome desktop shortcut to launch your Chrome. You’ll see it opens a new window in ‘incognito’ mode (by default).
What’s Saved and What’s Not?
The purpose of browsing in incognito mode is to avoid Chrome saving all your browsing history. So that no one can view your activity and you can browser in private. But there are many points you should still remember when using incognito mode in Chrome:
- Chrome will still store downloads and bookmarks.
- The thumbnails on the new tab page will not show sites browsed with incognito mode since there will be no history information.
- The password suggestions and other auto suggestion will still work from the profile settings.
- Network administrator can still track the websites you visited and the files served when you browsed.
- You can simply close the browser window to exit incognit mode and go to the normal mode. When you close incognito mode, Chrome will automatically go back to the previously opened window in normal mode.
- You can browser with normal and incognito modes in parallel.
How to Open Chrome in Incognito Mode By Default in Mac?
As always, things work differently on Mac. You can’t create a desktop shortcut and modify the target URL. Instead you need to follow a trick. Press ‘Command + Spacebar’ and open spotlight search box. Type in ‘script editor’ and open Apple’s ScriptEditor application. Enter the script do shell script open -a /Applications/Google\\ Chrome.app –args –incognito as shown in the below picture.
Press ‘Command + S’ to save the script. When saving, ensure to choose the file format as ‘Application’ and save the script as an application.
Now close all your Chrome browsers and open the script application. It will open Chrome incognito mode by default. You can change the icon of the app and add in the dock to use like a Chrome. But remember this app will only work when the Chrome is launched. If Chrome is already open and running then this script app will not work.
Open Incognito Mode From Taskbar or Dock
If you don’t want to follow the above lengthy process then there is a simple way to open Chrome in private browsing mode. Follow the below steps in Windows:
- First right click on the Google Chrome application and pin to taskbar.
- Right click on Chrome icon on taskbar.
- Choose ‘New incognito window’ option to open the browser in private browsing mode.
Follow the below instructions on Mac:
- Open ‘Finder’ and go to ‘Applications’ folder.
- Drag and drop the ‘Google Chrome’ app to the dock. Henceforth, Chrome will always be there on your dock for quick access.
- Right click on Chrome app on the dock.
- Choose ‘New Incognito Window’ to open Chrome in private mode.
Guest Mode Vs Incognito Mode
Both guest and incognito modes offer similar functions with guest mode offers high privacy than incognito mode. Chrome also does not store the history in guest mode. The important difference is that during guest mode, you will not get any suggestion from Chrome as no profile settings will be linked to your activities. You can access guest mode by clicking on the profile icon shown on the top right corner of Chrome and choose ‘Guest’ option.
After browsing, click on the ‘Guest’ button on top right corner and choose ‘Exit Guest’ option to quit guest mode.