Google AdSense program allows you to monetize all types of online content. Whether you have a content website, mobile app, gaming site or video hosting site – you can monetize everything with AdSense. Earlier Google had a separate service for mobiles. However, Google retired AdSense for mobile later, since you can use the responsive content ads to support smartphones devices like iPhone, iPad and Android phones. In this article let us discuss all types of AdSense products available for monetization for different purposes.
Remember, you can’t use the same AdSense account for monetizing all types of content. You need to apply and get approval from Google for different products.
Summary – AdSense Products
- AdSense for Content – is a AdSense account for small publishers.
- AdSense for Search – earn money by offering custom Google search box on your site.
- Games – earn with your HTML5 games.
- Videos – allows you to monetize video streaming site.
- AdSense for Mobile (retired).
- AdSense for Feed (retired).
- Google Affiliate Network (retired).
- Blogger – make money with free blogging platform.
- YouTube – make money wit your hosted videos.
- AdSense for Shopping – for retailers and ecommerce sites.
- Double Click for Publishers and AdMob – separate platforms for publishers.
1. AdSense for Content (AFC)
As the name indicates, AdSense for Content is the product for displaying advertisements on websites. Anyone having a website can apply for AdSense program and start making money from online content. As Google is one of the biggest tech companies in the world, they easily find million of advertisers and deliver high paying ads on publisher’s websites. All you need is to have decent traffic to your site complying AdSense policies and get approval from Google for showing advertisements on your site.
1.1. Earning Potential
Google pays 68% of the amount collected from the advertisers to you as a revenue sharing for AdSense for Content ads. For example if an advertiser pays $1 for a click, when someone click that ad displayed on your site, Google will pay $0.68 to you and keep the remaining $0.32. This is for a single click and imagine the potential of boosting your AdSense revenue with large variety of ads and huge advertisers base that Google offers.
1.2. Manage Your Ads
You have a command over the types of ads displayed on your web pages and where you want to place the ads. Currently, there is no limit on number of ads that you can display on a single page. In addition, you have options to block irrelevant ads from the advertisers that may not be suitable for your visitors.
1.3. Monitor AdSense Performance
You can find how hard your site is working for you through detailed reports in your AdSense account. Identify which ads and pages are performing well and figure out the reasons for other pages or ads not performing well. Google also offers various recommendations in AdSense account for increasing your earnings potential.
1.4. Hassle Free
AdSense is a hassle free program with nothing to sell, no installation and no contracts. You need a little effort to build your content and you will make a handsome money from Google every month. Apply for AdSense now and start making money with Google.
2. AdSense for Search (AFS)
Next AdSense product is for searching content similar to Google search engine. AdSense for Search allows you to place a custom Google search box on your site. Users visiting your website can search the web directly from your web pages. You can generate revenue from ad clicks made by users on the search results pages. The best way is to combine AdSense for Content and Search box to increase your revenue.
2.1. Earning Potential
Google pays 51% of the amount collected from advertisers to you as a revenue sharing for AdSense for Search ads. For example, if an advertiser pays $1 for a click, when someone clicks an ad on the search results page using Google Search box placed on your site, Google will pay $0.51 to you and keep the remaining $0.49 as commission.
2.2. Manage AdSense for Search Box
You can customize the search box and results as per your need.
- Site – choose the site for including in the search results. The options are to have your own site, a collection of sites or the entire web.
- Customizing – choose the colors and location of the ads.
- Host – choose whether you want to host the results on your site or Google host them for you. If you have WordPress site, learn how to create custom search box for in this article.
3. AdSense for Games
This AdSense product allows you to display video ads, image ads and text ads within your HTML5 online games to earn revenue. AdSense for games uses Google’s Interactive Media Ads (IMA) SDK, the technology that lets you request ads from within your games. Many of the world’s leading gaming publishers use the IMA SDK to request and display in-game ads. In order to use AdSense for games, you may need to have ActionScript technical proficiency and ensure you adhere to the Terms of IMA. In addition to that:
- You can only integrate AdSense for games on web-based Flash games.
- Content has to be family safe and targeted to users age 13 and older.
- You should have full control over where games are distributed.
- Have own the legal rights to monetize games.
The Google IMA SDK supports the following ad types:
- Pre-roll: A linear ad that is played before the content.
- Mid-roll: A linear ad that is played in the middle of the content.
- Post-roll: A linear ad that is played after the content.
4. AdSense for Videos
AdSense for Video allows publishers to display video advertisements on their video hosting or streaming sites. Publishers earn revenue by displaying in-stream video ads, flash overlay ads and text overlay ads. Below are some of the benefits of using video ads.
- Insert inline videos to monetize your video sites.
- Get access to Google’s large ad inventory from global and local video advertisers.
- Manage all your video ads easily from your account.
5. AdSense for Mobile (Retired)
Earlier Google offers separate monetization option on mobile using AdSense for Mobiles ads. Now, the content ads are optimized for smartphones and hence Google retired its AdSense for Mobile ads. You can use responsive ads to automatically adjust the display on mobile devices.
Remember, you can monetize mobile apps using AdMob by displaying inline ads inside the app.
6. AdSense for Feed (Retired)
AdSense for Feed was a product offering advertisements inside RSS feed of your blog. After creating feeds with FeedBurner, you can view and customize the feed ads from your AdSense account. Unlike other products, Google allowed to send advertisements in the mail box with feed ads. When someone subscribes to your feed, Google will deliver the ads inside the feed to the subscriber’s mailbox.
Google retired AdSense for Feeds with effect from 03 December 2012. Hence there will be no ads served in your RSS feeds there on.
7. Google Affiliate Network (Retired)
Google Affiliate Network was a free program that makes it easy for website publishers to connect with quality advertisers and get rewarded for driving conversions. Similar to any other affiliate programs, you need to display an affiliate ad on your site. Google will pay you a commission on sales, when users click that ad and purchase the affiliate products.
- Discover high-performing advertisers.
- Save time with a speedy and intuitive interface.
- Track conversions and access real-time reporting.
- Enjoy local payments via your AdSense account.
- VIP and Rising Star status for top publishers.
Google retired Affiliate Network program and continued to encourage publishers joining AdSense program.
Blogger is a free platform offered by Google for publishers to write any type of content. The good thing is you can automatically integrate AdSense account with Blogger and start making money from your posts.
Similar to blogger, Google also allows you to monetize the videos hosted on YouTube. You can monetize the Youtube videos by applying for a hosted AdSense account. After approval, you should also get an AdSense account approval with valid website to get the payments generated from YouTube videos.
10. AdSense for Shopping
AdSense for Shopping is a special AdSense product that allows large retailers to monetize their ecommerce websites. You can earn revenue by displaying shopping ads on your site similar to Google Search shopping results. However, this product is not available for all users and you need to apply through a separate form for getting approval from Google.
11. DoubleClick for Publishers and AdMob
DoubleClick and AdMob are additional products offered by Google outside the scope of AdSense account. AdMob is used for showing inline ads on your mobile app and DoubleClick is an all in one ad serving platform.
As you can see, Google offers almost all possible ways to show advertisements on your online content. We recommend you to first build your site or app and start receiving decent traffic before applying for AdSense account. Once approved, you can also get additional approvals for more websites using the same account and place ads as per AdSense policies.