5 Weebly Site Editor Issues That Will Annoy You
Weebly is undoubtedly an easy tool to start building a site and make your online presence in matter of minutes. But the fact remains same unless you realize that Weebly is not the place to build a huge site with 100+ pages due to various issues. Besides list of drawbacks you should be aware of before choosing Weebly, here is a list of problems you will face along with the growth of your Weebly site in the editor.
Check out each of the issues and think twice whether you are making a right choice at the beginning itself instead of running into trouble midway for migrating your site to another service provider.
1. Loading Message with Spinner
The small annoying loading popup is one of the frequent things every Weebly user will be seeing on the editor. This appears for every single action like after dropping any element, switching menus and clicking outside the element after editing. Your site is being saved in Weebly’s shared server’s cache after you drop every element, add a content or upload an image. The time of saving depends on the size of your site as well as the speed of your internet connection and you will see the loading message till the time the changes got saved.
Weebly introduced a close option on the loading button which will appear when the loading takes longer time. Unfortunately it will not be helpful other than merely closing the loading button. Be aware, if you continue to modify the content when loading message is shown, you will loose the modified content. So the only way is to look at your monitor till the time the message disappears. This will be really annoying especially when you have slow internet connection.
2. Server Errors
Besides the editor itself taking long time to load all the required components, it also throws different types of errors as a popup message during editing. Especially with larger sites, it will be a task for you to upload larger sized videos and multiple images for a gallery or slideshow element.
Whenever there is a drop in server connectivity you will see a popup message as shown in the picture below with a misleading information to check your internet connection. It is also not practical to contact Weebly support every time for a lost server connection.
Clicking on exit button will close the editor or sometimes log out of your Weebly account.
3. System Error
If the loading message appears for long time then most probably you will see a system error as shown below. You just need to close this message, click inside some element and then click outside to retry again.
4. Upload Error
File upload is another issue in Weebly especially with a slow internet connection. When you have lot of images, larger video size or larger PDF file to upload it will take considerable time ti upload the files to server.
5. Popup Message for Re-connect Apps
Though this is not an error message, you will see the below popup whenever there is an updated version of the app you have installed is available. This message will also be shown when the disconnected app is still installed on your site.
- Weebly site editor had gone through major changes in Carbon upgrade and caused lot of issues. After years, users still report that the elements are not aligning as you drop, duplication of elements when you drop and changes are not saved properly. Though these issues are not appearing on newly created sites, we do occasionally notice them on old sites.
- Besides various editor errors due to the size of the site, it is a pain for you to modify an existing page since there is no option available in Weebly to choose multiple elements in once. You need to select or delete each element on a page to modify the content which makes difficult to use “Copy Page” option as well. With Weebly 4, you have an option to move or delete all the elements within a section with single click.
- Your Weebly site may be blocked by your ISPs due to shared hosting problem.
- Since there is no automatic site backup option in Weebly, you need to download the complete zip archive of your site every time you want to backup. As the site grows in size it will be difficult to download the complete content every time and you will receive a download error from the browser.