Once of the important aspect of running a website on self-hosted WordPress platform is the continuous maintenance and update of the site. This is easy and possible as long as you run a single installation whether it’s a single or multi site environment. But over the period of time you may have multiple domains handled independently due to various reasons and the maintenance of individual sites with separate logon is no more an easy task.
Manage Multiple WordPress Sites with ManageWP
ManageWP is a WordPress management console to manage multiple WordPress sites under single dashboard. This is a handy tool to update themes, plugins, and WordPress versions in single place. Also you can monitor uptime, backup, publish articles on any of you WordPress sites through manageWP dashboard.
Adding Sites and Setting Up Your Account
Once you have created an account the next step is to install a “ManageWP Worker” plugin to connect your site and the dashboard. After the site is added to the dashboard the first important thing is to make login access settings under “Your username > Settings > Advanced” tab.
- Enable login to WordPress sites only from certain IPs. Don’t forget to add your IPs and manageWP IPs to ensure you can login through manageWP.
- Enable two factor authentication. ManageWP will send SMS or an email as a second authentication for logging into your WordPress admin dashboard.
There are some other settings available like connecting Dropbox or Google Drive account for storing your site’s backup.
The limit on number of websites is applicable for unique domain names which means you can add unlimited subdomains even with a single site account.
What Can You Do With ManageWP?
ManageWP offers powerful dashboard showing multiple widgets which can be customized under your “Settings”.
- Quick access to important links like backup and cloning.
- Update themes and plugins.
- Delete post revision, cleanup database tables and delete spam comments.
Here are some important things you can do with manageWP without logging into multiple WordPress sites:
- Scan your site for basic security check and malware.
- Turn on / off maintenance mode for your sites.
- Install theme or plugin from WordPress repository, Dropbox or from your local computer.
- Check page loading time through pingdom and broken link checks through W3C validator service.
- Schedule regular backup and clone your site.
- Do SEO and keyword analysis.
- Monitor performance through Google Analytics or ManageWP analytics tool.
- Monitor uptime and set traffic alert to indicate you through emails whenever traffic changes drastically (say 20%, you can define this value) from the previous day or based on weekly average.
- Create manage posts, pages, comments and users within manageWP dashboard.
Plans Offered by ManageWP
ManageWP was established by Vladimir Prelovac in 2010 to manage multiple WordPress installations under single umbrella. Currently there are four different plans are offered and the pricing varies based on the number of sites you want to add to your account. Below is the pricing for 5 websites:
|Standard Plan||$0.80 per site / month|
|Professional Plan||$2.40 per site / month|
|Business Plan||$4.80 per site / month|
You can compare the complete features between these plans here.
Best Deal With VPS or Dedicated Hosting
Though you can register for free plan which offers most of the basic needs to maintain multiple blogs there are many hosting companies offer standard / professional plan along with their VPS / dedicated hosting services for free. This helps in lot of way and avoids installing additional plugins on each installation separately. For example, you can schedule the backup of entire site with database and files and send to Dropbox or Google Drive. Also you can monitor uptime, security scan, do SEO analysis, check keyword ranking and integrate Google Analytics.