Optimizing your AdSense ads is an important factor to increase revenue. Google offers a simple scorecard called “AdSense Scorecard” to show your site’s performance on three parameters:
- Site health and
- Revenue optimization
Analyze the scorecard and take appropriate actions to ensure the possibility of getting more revenue from your AdSense ads.
1. Multi-screen Optimization
Google calculate this score based on the compatibility of your pages on multiple screens like mobile and desktop devices. The percentage of multi-screen optimized pages is compared with the percentage of other AdSense publishers thus making it a comparative score rather than an individual score. Optimizing a page for multi-screen enables better user experience especially on mobile screens and increases the possibility of getting more revenue.
Any update on optimizing pages for multi-screen will be reflected within 3 days in your scorecard.
How to Improve Multi-screen Optimization Score?
- Check your site in multiple resolution and screens and ensure the content is projected appropriately.
- Set a mobile redirect to inform crawlers that you have separate sites for mobile and desktop users.
- Google recommends building your site with multi-screen optimized vendors like GoDaddy, Weebly, Wix, Web, etc.
Ensure to have all redirected sites are under same domain. For example, if example.com is your desktop site then mobile.example.com shall be a mobile site instead of mobile.mysite.com.
2. Site Health Optimization
Site health section is divided into two categories – one for mobile and other for desktop based on the PageSpeed Insights performance.
Google calculates this score based on the logic of delivering a page within a second on mobile devices. It may take up to 7 days for any changes in your site to be reflected in the scorecard. The page with highest number of ad request is used for this analysis and you will see the URL of the page analyzed in this section.
- Use Google’s PageSpeed Insights tool to analyze your pages receiving most traffic in your site.
- Getting above 85 points in the scale of 0-100 points is considered as good score.
- Try to fix various issues shown as per the suggested way of fixing.
3. Revenue Optimization
Revenue optimization section is divided into three categories – Crawl error, text and display ads and recommended ad formats.
This score depends on the number of crawler errors for your site which is calculated every 2 days by Google. Google’s AdSense crawler is different than search engine crawler and fixing crawler errors is necessary for AdSense crawler to access your site and display relevant ads thus increasing the revenue.
Text and display ads enabled
This score is an average score for the past 7 days calculated based on the number of ad requests received from your sites which allow both text and display ads. All ad units except link units are accounted for calculating this score.
Recommended ad formats
Though there are many ad formats available Google recommends to use certain formats based on its analysis to increase the revenue. This is an average score for the past 7 days and depends on how many recommended ad formats are used in your site.
Improving Revenue Optimization Scores
- Fix AdSense crawler error and ensure the bot can crawl password protected login pages.
- Ensure to use new AdSense ad code and import your old code if you are still using it.
- Enable text and display ads under account settings.
- Use recommended ad formats like 386×280 large rectangle and 728×90 leaderboard ads.
- Use responsive ad unit for better mobile experience.