Edge is the default browser in Windows and all webpages will open in Edge by default. Though the latest Chromium based Edge works well, it can be sluggish sometime. When there is a problem in your browser, it will affect your productivity and you will see different types of errors. In most cases, closing and reopening Edge will resolve the problem. However, if that does not then the most recommended and easy solution is to reset Edge. Here, we will explain how to reset Microsoft Edge browser in different devices.
Why to Reset Edge Browser?
Over period of time, you might have customized the browser and installed lot of add-ons. These settings and accumulated cache can affect your browsing experience due to various reasons.
- Edge will autoupdate to the latest version whenever you connect to internet. Some of your settings may not be compatible and you may face issues with that.
- You might have changed lot of settings and simply want to cleanup the mess.
- Third-party Edge add-ons (extensions) you installed create problems.
- Adware or malware issue that changed your browser’s behavior.
In all these situations, if all other measures fail to speed up Edge, then you can choose resetting as a last option.
Before Resetting Edge
Resetting will delete all your customizations and restore Edge to its initial status with default settings. Once you decided to reset Edge browser to factory settings, you should understand the impact before doing it. Resetting will affect the followings:
- Your startup and new tab pages will be reverted back to initial setting.
- Search engine will be changed to default Bing.
- All pinned tabs in the browser will be deleted.
- Delete temporary data in cache and cookies.
- Disable all installed extensions, but they will not be deleted.
Good part is that resetting Edge will not delete the following items:
- All your favorites will be available after resetting Edge.
- You can access the stored passwords from Edge password manager.
- Your historical browsing data will be retained.
How to Reset Edge Browser in Windows?
Follow the below instructions to reset Edge in Windows 11 PC.
- Launch the Microsoft Edge browser by searching and opening or open the app from desktop shortcut.
- Select the “Settings and more” option at the top-right corner of the browser. Also, you can use “Alt + F” shortcuts in Windows to open the menu.
- Select the “Settings” option from the menu list.
- Select the “Reset Settings” option under the settings menu. On the right side pane, select the “Restore Settings to their default values” option.
- You will see the impacted settings when you reset and confirm the action by clicking the “Reset” button.
You will see a success message saying, “Settings were reset” nearer to top right corner. Edge will not close and relaunch when you reset. However, make sure to logout of all your active sessions to avoid loosing the unsaved data. This is due to the reason that resetting will delete cookies and temporarily stored data which will kick out you from the logged in websites.
Resettings Edge in Mac
You can also install and use Edge in macOS. The resetting process in Edge Mac version is similar to the Windows version as explained above. You can open the browser menu in Mac version by pressing “Command + Control + Comma” shortcut keys. Alternatively, you access the settings page by pressing “Command + Comma” shortcut keys or go to “Microsoft Edge > Preferences…” menu item.
Note: Both in Windows and Mac, you can use the shortcut URL edge://settings/reset to directly access reset settings page.
Reset Edge Mobile Apps
If you are using Microsoft Edge app in iPhone or Android smartphones, then it is not possible to reset the app like desktop versions. The only option is to delete the app and reinstall again to fix your problems.
As mentioned, resetting is the last option you should try to fix your browser problems. If resetting the browser does not solve the problem, then you may need to uninstall and reinstall the browser like mobile apps. Alternatively, you can also try to repair Edge in Windows version and check if that helps to resolve your issues.