Though the primary focus of every photo is the main subject, the background also plays a key role in the composition of the image like emphasizing the subject as well as enhancing the photography. However, an unattractive or messy background can damage the entire shot, making it look chaotic and misplaced. Fortunately, if the background is the problem or you just want to remove the background for whatever reasons, there are several ways of doing so. This article explores how you can remove the background from an image in Windows 10, using online tools or an Android app.
Option 1: Cropping Using Windows 10 Paint 3D App
The Paint 3-D is a desktop application that is pre-installed in Windows 10. You can use the application to crop out and delete the background of an image.
- Search for “Paint 3D” in the Windows search box and click the corresponding result to launch the app.
- Click “New” on the first prompt to open a new template.
- Click “Menu” located at the upper left corner to expand and select “Insert” from the drop-down options.
- Browse through your computer storage to select the image whose background you want to remove and click the “Open” button to add it.
- On the tools ribbon, just above the canvas, click “Magic select” and then drag the edges to focus on the main object.
- Once done, click the “Next” button on the left pane.
Refining the Selection
The next page will display a selection around the subject of focus.
- Use the “Add” and Remove to include and remove a section from the selection respectively.
- Once you achieve a perfect selection, click the “Done” button to complete.
- Now you can freely move the object independently. Click on the background and press “Delete” key on your keyboard to delete.
- Go back to “Menu” and save the new image.
Option 2: Removing Background of an Image Using MS Office Applications
Microsoft Office pack has a number of tools that users use to perform a variety of tasks. You can use some of the MS Office applications (Word, Excel or PowerPoint) to remove the background of an image.
How to Remove Image Background in PowerPoint?
- Open PowerPoint on your computer, select a blank presentation and then add a blank slide.
- Click the “Insert” menu and select “Pictures” option on the ribbon.
- Browse through the storage to the folder containing your image; pick the one you need to edit and click “Insert”.
- Click the image and in the “Picture Tools,” under “Format” select “Remove Background”.
- Some part of the image will retain the original colors while some sections will display a magenta shading.
- Drag the edges of the selection box to focus on the target subject.
- To refine the selection, click the “+” icon to add the areas you want to keep and “-” icon to mark the areas that you want to remove.
- Once you have refined the selection, click “Keep changes” to remove the unwanted sections of the picture and remain with the main subject only.
If you opt to use Word or Excel, the process is generally the same.
Option 3: How to Remove Background Using Free Online Editors?
There is a variety of free image editors available online that you can use to remove the background of images. The general procedure for using these online editors is to upload your image, then use the available editing tools to crop off the background and then download the new image. Some of the popular online image editors are:
This tool allows you to add an image through the upload button, drag & drop or copy & paste method.
- After you upload the image use the red mark (-) to mark the unwanted areas and green mark (+) to add the subject you want to retain.
- You can view the resulting image on the right-side panel to help you refine the image to what and how you want it.
This is another free and user-friendly tool for removing the background of an image. The tool uses AI technology to detect the main subject and automatically removes the background for you.
- Go to the Removebg website and click the “Select a photo” button or enter the URL to add an image.
- The next screen will display the original and the edited image. If you want to add or remove some sections, click the “Edit” button to continue.
- Click the “Erase/ Restore” buttons to remove/ add foreground areas. Once you are satisfied with the result, click the “Save” button.
- You can also add colour or another image background using the buttons under the “Background” section.
Option 3: How to Remove Image Background Using an Android App?
Another alternative is to use an Android app on your phone to erase the background of an image. You can find a range of such apps on the Google Play Store. These apps include:
- Background Eraser.
- Remove BG.
- Edge Trace and many others.
- Download and install the app on your device.
- Launch the app and select the image you want to edit from your phone storage. The editing process is straightforward.
If the background of an image is ruining the shot or you just want to get rid of the background for some reason, the above tools can help you achieve your goals in a matter of minutes. You can choose one of the above options depending on your target results.