Google Chrome is the most popular browser in the market today owing to its high performance, attractive user interface, numerous features and host of extensions. Moreover, the browser has variety of themes, enabling users to customize its appearance. With wide collection of themes in the Chrome Web Store, you can make the browser look the way you like. On top of that, if you cannot find a theme that suits your taste in Chrome Web Store, you can still create your custom theme and add it to Chrome.
In this article, we will look at how to create your own Google Chrome theme and enjoy a more personalized browsing experience.
How to Create Google Chrome Theme with Theme Creator?
You can use number of web-based apps to customize your Google Chrome theme. One of the apps is Chrome Theme Creator, which allows you to add your own images and specify custom color schemes to transform the appearance of Chrome.
- To get started, you can search for the Theme Creator extension from the Chrome web store, download and install the extension in Chrome. Alternatively, head straight to the Theme Creator web page from Chrome browser and start working on your new theme.
- Once the app opens, type the name you would like to give to your theme in the text box provided under the “Basic” tab.
Add Background and Theme Images
- Switch to the “Images” tab to see the available image options. You can hover the mouse over each option to see the position of the image on the preview.
- To add the background image (the base image for the theme), click the “Choose Image” button for “NTP Background”.
- Browse your PC storage and select a high-resolution image. Click the “Open” button to add the image.
- You can view the loaded image in preview on the right-side panel of the app interface. This image will appear on the New Tab Page when you open Chrome.
- Below the preview, you can adjust the image settings. Click the arrow to expand the options.
- Select the “fill screen” option to ensure that the image covers the entire browser window without leaving blank spaces.
- Another way to adjust the NTP background is to increase/ decrease (zoom in/out) the scale option.
- You can also add for the frame, toolbar, tab background by clicking the appropriate button, and then pick an image from your computer storage.
Adjusting Color Scheme for Text and Buttons
You need to be very creative when specifying the colour scheme of your theme as a poor colour scheme can hinder the visibility of the button or the text.
- In order to define color scheme, go to the “Colors” tab and adjust the color for the various options.
- Click the square against the option you want to adjust and create a custom color from the resulting pallet.
- You can also specify the tab and frame background color from the “Images” tab.
Packaging and Installing Your Custom Theme
- Once you are satisfied with the new theme, click the “Pack” tab.
- To add the theme to Chrome, click the “Pack and Install” button. This will automatically pack and download the custom theme on your computer.
- Open a new tab in Chrome and type “chrome://extensions/” to open the extensions page.
- Enable the “Developer mode” by turning on the switch.
- Now drag and drop your downloaded theme to the extensions page.
- When you get a prompt, click the “Add theme” button and install the theme.
Creating Chrome Theme with Chrome Theme Maker
The Chrome Theme Maker is another web application for creating custom themes in Chrome. The app’s interface is slightly different from the Theme Creator but the process of creating a theme is generally the same.
- Click the “Images” tab to add the base background, Frame, Toolbar and Tab Image by either selecting from the gallery or uploading new images from your computer.
- Switch to the “Colors” tab to set the color scheme.
- Once your theme is complete, you can click the “Apply Theme” button to add the theme to Chrome or “Compile and Download” to download the theme and install in Chrome.
One of the best ways to customize Google Chrome is to add your own custom theme. Luckily, you can create your unique Chrome theme using the above two options with little to zero programming skills. You only need to have quality images to add to your theme and play around with colors to get a suitable color scheme for your theme.