After Microsoft announced Bing AI, there was a buzz about Google Magi – a new search project from Google. During I/O 2023, Google officially announced a new search layout called Search Generative Experience (SGE). Though the waitlist for Bard chat access is removed, SGE is still under preview mode. This means you need to apply for approval and wait in the list before getting access to SGE.
Google Labs is Back with New Site
Google Labs was used for testing experimental features retired in 2011. Now, Google revived once retired Labs and introduced new experimental features.
The new features include Google Search, Google Workplace, Project Tailwind and MusicLM. For applying for SGE waitlist, you need to apply though Search Labs in the new Google Labs site. You can do this using one of the following three methods.
1. Apply for Search Generative Experience Waitlist from Website
At this point, the early access is only available in USA and in English language. Follow the below instructions if you want to get early access for Google Search Labs and test Search Generative Experience.
- Go to the new Google Labs site.
- Scroll down to “Available Labs” section and click “Learn more” button showing below “Google Search” lab.
- Alternatively, you can directly go to Google Search Labs login page. You will see a page showing “Try new experiments in Search Labs” mentioning the access is limited. Click on “Sign in to continue” button.
- Make sure to login with your personal Google account.
- You will see the same “Try new experiments in Search Labs” page this time with an opt-in checkbox and a “Join waitlist” button. Click on the “Join waitlist” button and apply for the Search Generative Experience waitlist. Also, check the opt-in box if you want to receive Search Labs related emails in your inbox.
- You will see a success message showing “Thanks for your interest in Search Labs”. That’s all, you have successfully applied for Google Search Labs waitlist and Google will send an email when the experiment is ready.
After applying, you can anytime click on “Leave waitlist” button to quit the waitlist.
2. Apply for Search Labs Access from Chrome Desktop
You can also apply for Google Search Labs early access from Chrome.
- Open Chrome and first update the browser to the latest version.
- Make sure you are on a new tab page.
- You will see a “Search Labs” icon on top right corner and click on that icon.
- This will open “Try new experiments in Search Labs” page and click on “Sign in to continue” button.
- Login with your personal Google account.
- Click “Join waitlist” button to apply for the Search Labs waitlist.
3. Applying Search Labs Waitlist from Google iOS and Android App
It is also possible to apply for the waitlist through Google app in Android and iOS.
- Open Google app and tap on the Labs icon showing on top left corner.
- You will see a “Experiments with Search Labs” page and tap on “Get started” button.
- Enable “When turned on, SGE may appear when you search” option. This will add you in the waitlist and you will be notified from Google when the Search Labs feature is available.
If required, you can also enable “Code Tips” to get coding tips in Google Search. After that, tap on “Try example” button to check how Search Generative Experience works in Google Search.
Google Search Labs Not Available
As mentioned, Google Labs features are only available for users in USA. If you are trying to apply for waitlist from other countries, you will see “Search Labs isn’t available for your account right now” message.
Similarly, you will see the same message when using business email accounts. Therefore, make sure you are in USA and using personal Google account for applying early access to Search Labs and test Search Generative Experience.
Search Generative Experience Preview
Google showed the preview of how the Search Generative Experience feature will work during T/O 2023 conference meet and also published a blog post with details. You will see the Bard AI response snapshot on top of search results along with links to source pages. You can click on source links or expand it to view all referenced links. It is also possible to continue the search as a conversation with Bard.
Once you get access after waiting list approval, make sure to test the experience and feedback your inputs to Google for making it better.