It is super easy to convert Microsoft Word document to a PDF document or a HTML webpage. However, did you ever wonder how to convert Microsoft Word document to PowerPoint presentation? Sometimes, lengthy documents will be boring and converting it to a small presentation with few slides can make things interactive.
Microsoft 365 Online Apps
Microsoft has lot of confusion in naming their products, especially Office apps. Finally, the new name is Microsoft 365 apps which includes all official apps like Word, PowerPoint, Excel, Outlook, Skype, etc. This is a premium product based on subscription and you need to use the online editor for converting a Word document to PowerPoint presentation. Unfortunately, the feature is only available with online editor and not part of desktop apps at least at this point. The online editor is also available for free users without subscription. However, it comes with lot of restriction in storage and features.
Convert Word to PowerPoint Using Microsoft 365 Online
This works based on the AI templates and you can customize the final slides using Designer AI suggestions in online PowerPoint editor.
- Open microsoft365.com and login with your account which has a valid Microsoft 365 subscription. The subscription will work no matter whether you bought from Apple App Store or Google Play Store or directly from Microsoft site.
- When you are in the dashboard, click Word app from the sidebar.
- Create a new document or select any recent document from OneDrive which you want to convert to PowerPoint.
- When the document is opened in online editor, go to “File > Export” menu and select “Export to PowerPoint presentation (preview)” option.
- The app will prompt you to select a presentation template. Scroll through the available templates to pick the one you like and click “Export” button.
- After successful export, you will see a message showing “Your presentation is ready”.
Editing and Fine-Tuning Converted Presentation
As mentioned, Microsoft uses AI to convert Word document to a presentation. Frankly, the PPT will look beautiful as shown below compared to creating from scratch. Each heading will be converted to a slide and the content will be inserted in different formats. There will also be images automatically inserted (not from your document) to spice up your presentation. To customize your PPT further, go to “Design” menu and select “Designer” option. This will show the AI generated styles in the right sidebar to change the template style. You can do this for each slide to fine-tune the content for your audience. You will also have other desktop PowerPoint app options to edit your content right in the online editor.
Saving and Sharing Your Presentation
There are multiple options available in the online PowerPoint editor for saving or sharing the PPT.
- Click “Present” button and start your live presentation with audience. PowerPoint will automatically generate a link and QR code which you can share with your audience to join the live session.
- Click “Editing” and select “Open in Desktop App” option to view the presentation from the PowerPoint app installed in your system.
- For sharing a presentation link to others, click on “Sharing” button and select the desired option.
It will hardly take few minutes to convert your Word document to a beautiful PowerPoint presentation. Though you need Microsoft 365 subscription and use online editor, you do not need any other third-party add-ins or services. Since the documents will be synced automatically in OneDrive, you can access from any device and share them quickly. Hope the feature will be soon available in desktop app so that you can use the app instead of online editor.