At times living in a country like China becomes very difficult. You should be prepared with necessary utilities to carry on with your routines. Accessing Internet is one such an issue since most of the global sites are blocked in China. If a giant like Google can be blocked you don’t need to think of other services like Twitter, Facebook, YouTube, Netflix, Hulu, etc. The solution is to buy a VPN service, which is also not an easy task.
There are hundreds of free and paid VPN services and choosing one among them will be a challenging task for you. VyprVPN is one of the popular VPN service helps to unblock sites and do online transactions securely. In this articles let us checkout the features, pricing and review of VyprVPN. Check out our articles on 5 reasons why you need VPN in China and 5 things to remember before buying a VPN in China.
Pros of Using VpyrVPN
First let us discuss the pros based on our experience before going to cons.
Some of the popular services like Astrill are almost completely blocked from 2016 Chinese New Year. ExpressVPN is also targeted for blocking from end of 2019. When we tested multiple other services we have found VyprVPN is one of the service working (relatively) and worth to try out. Below are some of the reasons for choosing VyprVPN:
- They have apps for all devices – iOS, Android, Mac and Windows.
- Apps are available for router, Android TV and Apple TV.
- They have the the original .com site and the mirror.biz site. Either one of the site should be accessible from your network.
- Online chat helps to get the required support quickly.
A Switzerland based company called GoldenFrog offers VyprVPN. It has a big multinational team for supporting round the clock 24x7x365. We had also tested their online chat and confirmed that the responses were almost immediate from real human.
Features of VyprVPN
VyprVPN offers high-end services to customers and allow unlimited Internet access on all its plans. The features are definitely better than many other VPN companies offering services in China. Some of the general features include the followings:
- 50+ locations from different countries spreading across five continents.
- 700+ servers with more than 200k IP addresses to hide your identity.
- Unlimited access to Internet with unlimited downloads and server switches.
- All data passing through VyprVPN will be encrypted to ensure your activities are secure.
- Their private DNS allows no logging of your activities.
Special Features of VyprVPN
Unlike other services VyprVPN offers some special features, which will ensure to overcome the blocking.
1. Chameleon Technology
They offer multiple protocols like PPTP, L2TP, OpenVPN and Chameleon. You can switch between any of the protocols to find a connection from your network. Their proprietary VPN protocol is called Chameleon, which uses 256 bit OpenVPN protocol and scrambles the Meta data to prevent the blocking. This special technology is only available for Windows, Mac, Android and Router.
2. NAT Firewall
Network Address Translation (NAT) firewall is an additional layer of security especially when you access Internet through wireless router.
3. Zero Logging
VyprVPN uses its own DNS server without any logging of your activities. This helps to access the sites faster and secured manner.
4. Kill Switch
Kill Switch option allows you to stop the connectivity if VyprVPN is not connected. This is an useful option if you want to always connect securely.
Cons with VyprVPN
Being said with many pros there are some cons when using VyprVPN services.
- The pricing is at the high-end, especially when you are locked in a yearly plan and the service is not working from your network then you may end up in loosing money.
- 3 days trail period is very short to decide, especially for a new expat landing in China. Services like ExpressVPN offers 30 days money back guarantee.
- Sometime it never connects or you may need to switch to the lowest secure PPTP connection. The connectivity differs between networks (home Wifi and commercial networks like 4G) and the devices.
- Though they advertise “Fastest VPN in the world” – the fastest speed when connected will be maximum of few Mbps. Below is the testing we have done on China Unicom with and without VyprVPN. So if you are looking for Torrents or file upload and video streaming then we highly recommend to check out the trial before buying.
As far as we have tested the speed and the connectivity, this is the same case with all VPN services in China at this moment. So set your expectations correct before buying a VPN service in China.
Plans & Pricing
Earlier GoldenFrog was offering VyprVPN under three different services – basic, pro and premier. Currently, they changed the pricing to super simple structure. We recommend to go for the 2 years service which will cost you $2.5 per month. You can have 5 simultaneous connections on laptop, iPhone, iPad or any other combination of devices. They also offer 30 days money back guarantee with the option to pay with PayPal.
You can also test with the free service with 500MB limitation before buying the paid version.
Installation and Settings
Apps are available for iOS, Windows, Mac, Android, TVs and Router. Click on the “Start Free Trail” button to create a new account and down the required app. Login to you account through the app and connect through your preferred server. You can either connect from the fastest server or choose the server from the list.
Navigate to “VyprVPN > Preferences” menu and change the protocol and customize DNS settings to try out with different options. As the blocking level defers based on the ISP, trying out with different protocols will help to connect to the fastest VPN server successfully.
VPN service helps to connect blocked sites from China. VyprVPN is one of the premium service having good apps with appealing user interface. You can choose the required server by looking at the speed from your location. If you are in China and looking for a VPN, then you can definitely try out VyprVPN service though the speed is a concern.
- No log VPN with custom DNS.
- Low price compared to other providers.
- Reliable and apps for all devices.
- Slow speed when connected.
- Blocked in China.