Google Chrome is a very popular web browser and it’s well maintained by Google. Updates are regularly released in a timely manner. But you still encounter some errors that may disturb the browsing experience, including “err_connection_timed_out” error. The reason is simple that these errors are not browser dependent. For example err_connection_timed_out error happens due to the connectivity issue and will appear on all browsers.
What us Err_Connection_Timed_Out Error?
When you enter a URL in Chrome, the address is passed on to many upstream servers called DNS servers. One of the DNS servers will have the cached information of the IP address corresponds to the site address. This is the IP address of the web server in which the webpage you are looking is physically stored.
Though the process looks lengthy, it happens in fraction of seconds. Especially when you look for popular sites like Google, the domain name resolution process happens instantly. But for an unknown site, it may take some milliseconds to get the IP address.
Now that you know how the domain resolution process works. Whenever one of the upstream server does not respond within the stipulated time to the request then you will see 504 gateway timed out error in the browser. 504 is the HTTP status code returned by a web server when the connection is timed out. The error err_connection_timed_out on Chrome is similar to the 504 gateway timed out error.
Fix Err_Connection_Timed_Out Error
If the error keeps on appearing, it may get quite annoying. There are multiple solutions that can help you to solve this problem.
1. Reload the Page
You will see a “Reload” button when the error appears on Chrome. Click on the “Reload” button or refresh the browser to load the webpage again. This could solve the issue, if it happened due to the server connection was not available intermittently.
Remember, you should not refresh the webpage during payment or any other form submission.
2. Check Your Internet Connection
The most probable reason for time out error is due to your internet connection. It is not about checking your cables; it’s about your service provider. If you consistently see the time out error for few sites, then check with your ISP whether they are not blocking those sites.
Sometimes your ISP can help but sometimes they can’t if the blocking is at country level. Remember countries like China blocks the access to global sites like Google, Facebook, YouTube, etc. Nowadays every site has social icons and Google fonts installed on the server site. The browser calls these services when you open the site. Ultimately this will end up in timeout error, as there will be no response.
You may confirm that your ISP causes the problem, if err_connection_timed_out error doesn’t appear when connecting to internet using different network. So check with your service provider as a first step.
3. Change DNS
As explained above, DNS servers play vital role in this error. When you connect to the internet, your internet service provider (ISP) automatically assigns the DNS. But corrupted and outdated DNS server details may trigger errors.
In order to overcome DNS related error, you should use alternative DNS servers, like OpenDNS and Google DNS. Follow these steps:
- Open Control Panel and click on Network and Internet.
- Click on Network and Sharing Center and look on the left side for Change Adapter Setting. Click on it.
- Right click on your current connection and select Properties from the context menu. A new window will appear.
- Click on Internet Protocol Version 4 (TCP/IPv4) and click on Properties again.
- If you choose Google DNS, type in 22.214.171.124 for primary and 126.96.36.199 for alternate.
- If you choose Open DNS, type in 188.8.131.52 for primary and 184.108.40.206 for alternate.
Restart the computer and check whether the problem has been resolved. Read detailed article on how to setup Google public DNS.
4. Flush DNS
Similar to DNS servers, your computer will also cache the DNS records. The cached records are used when the same site is accessed next time.
This may cause issue, especially if the site changed the DNS or nameservers. So flush the DNS and try to access the site is loading on the browser. Learn how to view and flush DNS in Windows.
5. Clear Cookies and Cache
Accumulated cookies and cache could be the reason why you are having the difficulty in opening specific websites. Try to clear browsing data to fix this error. Follow these steps:
- Open Chrome web browser and type “chrome://settings/privacy” into the address field.
- Click on the “Clear browsing data” option available as a last option under “Privacy and security” section.
- In the new window, make sure the browsing histories, cookies and cache are all checked under “Advanced” tab.
- Choose “All time” from the Time Range dropdown menu.
- Click on the “Clear Data” button.
Check whether the problem has been resolved.
6. Check Hosts File
Hosts file is used to map the IP address of the domain within your computer. It is not necessary to maintain hosts file, but it can cause error in case if the IP address of a domain is wrongly maintained. If the hosts file contains outdated information about the website that you regularly visit, the errors like err_connection_timed_out may appear. Follow these steps to view the Hosts file and check whether any website is blocked:
- Right click on the Notepad and choose Run as Administrator in the context menu
- Click on “File > Open” menu. Go to “C:/Windows/System32/drivers/etc”, assuming that you have installed Windows on C drive.
- The hosts file doesn’t have an extension, so you may not see it.
- Choose “All Files” option to see the hosts file.
- Click on the hosts file and then “Open” button.
- Inside the hosts file, check any domains are mapped to IP address like 0.0.0.0 or 127.0.0.1 and delete the entries.
- Save the modified Hosts file and restart you computer.
7. Disable Proxy Server
It is possible that your network and proxy settings can cause various glitches. If you are suspecting that LAN and proxy settings are causing the err_connection_timed_out error, then you should do the following:
- Open Control Panel and click on Internet Options
- A new window will open and you should click on the Connection tab. Then, click on the LAN Settings
- Make sure that the “Automatically detect settings” option and the proxy server check boxes are unchecked.
- Click OK and restart your computer.
8. Use VPN
VPN will help to bypass the internet connection through your ISP and anonymously connects through dedicated DNS servers. So you can access the blocked sites and the err_connection_timed_out can be resolved.
9. Update Network Driver
Make sure that you have the latest driver for your network adapter. In some cases, you get the error because your driver is too old and it can’t cope with the latest networking standards.
Another way is to restart your computer into safe mode with network connections. Check whether you can able to access the sites without error.
10. Check Firewall Settings
The high security level in your firewall settings may delay the connection to certain sites. Disable your firewall and check the page is loading on Chrome. This will help to identify the problems with the firewall settings.
Also ensure Chrome is allowed through your firewall settings of Windows defender.
We believe, on of the above mentioned solutions can help you fix the err_connection_timed_out error. Ensure your internet connection is not restricted within your organization or by your ISP. If none of the options resolve your issue then consider switching to different ISP.