Numeric pad or number pad comes as an in-built part keyboard when you purchase a long keyboard. However, most Windows laptops do not have number pad in keyboard due to compact design. This is a hassle if you frequently use calculations and keyboard shortcuts. For example, thousands of alt code keyboard shortcuts will work only if you type the decimal numbers using separate number pad. If you miss those extra number keys on your laptop, here are some of the options to add number pad in Windows 11 laptops.
Using Additional Number Pad
You can choose one of the following options depending upon your need and usage.
1. Use On-Screen Keyboard in Windows 11
For quick and infrequent use, the best option is to use the default Windows 11 On-Screen Keyboard (OSK). This is also useful if you have touch interface screen.
- Type “on-screen keyboard” in Windows Search box in Taskbar and open On-Screen keyboard.
- The keyboard will open which you can start using either by touching (if your device supports) or using the mouse or with the physical keyboard keys.
- You can resize and dock the on-screen keyboard to fit it on your screen. As you can see, it does not have number pad and click “Options” key to add it.
- In “Options” dialog box, check “Turn on numeric key pad” item and click “OK” button.
- Now, you will see a number pad added in the on-screen keyboard which you can start using without physical number pad.
Note: You can open the On-Screen Keyboard using “Windows + Control + O” shortcuts. Alternatively, go to “Settings > Accessibility > Keyboard” section and toggle “On-screen keyboard” option to show or hide the virtual keyboard.
2. Check Laptop Keys
Some laptop keyboards come with an option to use the default alphanumeric keys as separate numeric pad. For example, in the below keyboard image you can see there are numbers written in squares on the default alphanumeric keys. You can use these keys as your number pad if your laptop has similar setup.
- Press Number Lock key to enable the number pad (this normally shows as NumLock and you may need to press Fn key together on some laptops).
- Now, use M, J, K, L, U, I, O, 7, 8 and 9 keys as 0 to 9 number keys.
- Once done, press Number Lock again to disable the number pad.
3. Try Number Pad Emulators
If the default Windows On-Screen Keyboard does not help you, then you can try other virtual emulators. Numpad Emulator is one of the free options you can try.
- Download the file from GitHub. Since this is a forked version of the original software available in Sourceforge, you can also download the installation file from Sourceforge.net.
- Open the “numpad_xxxx-setup.exe” file from your “Downloads” folder. XXXX is the version which is 1.7.1 when this article is published.
- Open the application and configure your virtual keyboard.
The advantage of Numpad Emulator is that you can add any number of keys and use alt code symbols directly with the virtual number pad.
4. Purchase USB Number Pad
If none of the above options work for you and you need a dedicated numeric pad for laptop, then consider purchasing a USB number pad. There are numerous USB Number Pad models available which you can use as an additional accessory like a mouse. You can purchase it from laptop manufacturer’s website or from stores like Amazon.
Here are some of the points to consider before buying number pad for your laptop:
- Price – you can get from $15 to +$200 depending upon the specifications and model. I would recommend buying from your laptop manufacturer for better compatibility.
- USB Port – most number pad work wirelessly based on USB connector and Bluetooth. So, make sure you have USB ports in the laptop.
- Number of Keys – check the number of keys to support your work. Some number pads come with additional currency keys which may be useful if you frequently type currency symbols.
- Charging – check the charging method for the number pad. It should have rechargeable battery so that you can charge it when not in use.
- Compatibility – most number pad works only on Windows laptops. If you want to use with Mac or other models, make sure to check with the seller before purchasing.
Purchasing a number pad is the simple solution to add number pad in Windows 11 laptops if you are ready to spend money. You will have hassle free experience and use the device along with your keyboard. However, if you do not want to spend money then try other explained options like On-Screen Keyboard, emulator or laptop alphanumeric keys.