Android is the most popular mobile operating system in the world. Many popular mobile companies including Samsung uses Android on their smartphones. Similar to Windows for desktop, smartphone manufacturing companies focus on their hardware while using the capability of Android OS for software integration. Unfortunately, the popularity also brings trouble like privacy, data protection and malware. This essentially needs you to have one of the antivirus apps for Android from Google Play store.
You will need protection in your personal data and apps, because you’re going to find lots of malware on the Internet and hackers who can use your info for different reasons that can even damage your public image. But fear not, this has a simple solution if you use antivirus app on your smartphone. There are a lot of antivirus apps available in Google Play store that can protect you. Some of them are really good and you have to know which can be more useful for you. In this article, let us explain top 5 antivirus apps for Android smartphones.
1. Avast Mobile Security
Maybe you used this antivirus before, because it gained popularity and fame from the PC world. Seeing this, the developer company decided to create a “Port” for the mobile user’s protection against malware and hackers. If you have used it in PC, then you already have some idea of how it works. However, there are some extra features in the mobile app.
This antivirus used to be paid, but now it’s completely free with an option to upgrade for additional features.
- New and well working call blocker allows you to never answer unknown person calls.
- Amazing Anti-Thief measure feature allows you to remotely block the Android device if it goes missing or someone stole it.
- Premium users get another feature which is app-locking, this will ask you to introduce a PIN before you try to open it.
The only bad thing about the free version is that different ads will constantly appear to support it. However, if this annoys you, there is always the option to pay a small monthly or yearly premium membership to remove these ads forever.
Related: Top antivirus for Windows PC.
2. Bitdefender Antivirus Free
The name of “Bitdefender” is well known in the community for searching for protection. This is one of the most lightweight antivirus apps that you’re going to find. In fact, it’s only working whenever you like to, avoiding the great consuming of system resources and allows you to increase your battery life much longer. This is perfect for smartphones that are slow, and their battery life is incredibly short. However, this is not as good as it sounds, because you’ll have to scan or run the antivirus manually to be safe of malware. The new apps that you download from the store are automatically scanned without any extra configuration.
The antivirus is free with an option to upgrade. If you want some extra security, then make sure to use the free 14-day trial of Bitdefender Security before purchasing. This includes a cool feature of real-time protection in Google Chrome browser from malware and hackers. This app also include a similar anti-thief feature like Avast.
3. McAfee Mobile Security: VPN Proxy & Anti Theft Safe WiFi
Like Avast antivirus, this is also known for the PC users who want to protect their devices. McAfee using their well-trained team, created an incredible antivirus apps for Android to guarantee the mobile security. It’s very similar to the antivirus in the PC and doesn’t disappoint you. The only bad thing about it, is the fact that you’re going to see some ads to support the free version, but don’t worry, you can always pay for a premium version which includes the ads removal and receive a top quality phone support.
- Provides secure VPN to protect your online privacy.
- The app uses a well trusted apps scanner and including some extra free features like the possibility of tracking a lost device and even locking and wiping it remotely. If your device is stolen, then with the app you can even manage to take a picture of the thief.
- That’s not all, it also includes some other highlights like the ability of scanning apps if they leak a sensitive information and even lock them if they found some malware that wants to reach your smartphone.
- If you doesn’t like to be called for unknown numbers, then with McAfee you can create a blacklist of annoying callers or spammers.
4. Sophos Mobile Security
This was the best antivirus back in 2015, because it even won the AV-Test award. The award is given to the best app that guarantees the user protection of malware and hackers. However, with the pass of the years, other antivirus have gained traction in the world of security. But this app is still one of the most functional and useful apps.
- Starting with the fact that Sophos doesn’t use any ads to support the antivirus. It still offers the same features as other paid security Android apps.
- It also can block any website that contains spam or illegal content which can later be transferred to your phone via malware.
- Sophos updates the malware database every day to guarantee the mobile user’s protection.
- This app even includes a QR code which you can use to create more secure Wi-Fi connections.
Incredible, isn’t it? but that’s not all, it scans all the apps on your phone for malware and other suspicious files located in your operating system. You can schedule the scanner to work every time you want and reconfigure for a periodically or daily scan.
5. Norton Mobile Security and Antivirus
This free antivirus created from Norton can detect 100% of all Android’s malware and eradicate them without any problem. This was proven a few months ago when it was benchmarked in the AV-Test. The app scanner is powered by Norton Mobile Insight, it can detect viruses that are inside your apps and files, and later remove the malware automatically. It also includes some other cool features like the possibility of blocking your phone via SMS texts. If the SIM card is removed for your phone, you can block it when your phone has 10 unsuccessful attempts to enter the password.
It’s always good to have some extra protection in your apps to protect your personal information. By installing one of these antivirus apps for Android, you can create a unique security system in your smartphone. We highly recommend to use antivirus app, because there are lots of malware and hackers can even hide in Google’s Operating System. This can cause a mess with the information located on your device. So, what are you waiting for? start downloading at least one of these apps to guarantee your personal security.