How to Improve Battery Life of Android Phone?
Smartphone has become a necessity, enabling users to do a myriad tasks including playing games, watching videos, navigating directions and browsing the web among others. To accommodate these needs, manufacturers have improved device features such as the processor, as well as display size and resolution. Unfortunately, batteries have failed to keep up this pace, forcing people to rely on external battery or have their phones plugged to the power source now and then. In this post, we will take you through practical tips for enhancing the battery life of your Android device.
Related: How to improve iPhone battery life?
Causes of Poor Battery Life in Android Phone
Many elements can cause your battery to drain faster than normal including internet connections, screen brightness, background applications, processing speed and quality of the battery among others. While app vendors and chipmakers try to optimize their products for a prolonged battery life, the efforts are not enough to save the situation. However, with the tips in this post you can improve the battery life of your phone.
Discover What’s Draining Your Device Battery
Before you get started, it is important to check what feature or app has consumed what battery power on your phone.
- Go to the phone’s “Settings” app and under the “Device” category, open the “Battery” settings.
- This will take you to the battery usage page where you will find the battery usage details and settings.
- The graph shows the battery usage since last recharge and remaining battery life. You can also see how long it will take to drain the battery completely, based on the current usage trend.
- Below the graph, you find a full breakdown of battery usage for apps and services. You can tap on the app to see “Use details.”
Optimize or Change App’s Battery Use
You can change how an app uses battery or optimize the apps to improve battery life.
- Tap the Menu icon (3 vertical dots) at the top of the battery use screen and then “Battery optimization”.
- This will open a list of apps that are not optimized for battery use. To enable optimization, tap the app and check the “Optimise” option on the resulting pop up.
- It is advisable to enable battery optimization for all apps.
Adjust Apps Power Use to Increase your Phone’s Battery Life
If you find that a certain app is consuming too much of the battery power, you can force stop or uninstall the app.
- Go to the system settings and select apps.
- Look for the problematic app and tap to open the app info page.
- Scroll down to the battery settings for the app. You will see what percentage of the battery the app has used.
- Under the title, “Adjust power use,” tap the “Stop or uninstall the app” link.
- Touch the button to “Force Stop” the app and check if this improves the power use.
- To remove the app permanently, use the “Uninstall” button and press “Ok” to confirm the action.
Configure Phone Settings to Increase Battery Life
You can adjust your phones settings to save battery life on your Android phone. Below are a few tips.
Enable Battery Saver Mode
- Go to the device battery settings and at the top of the page, you will find the battery saver option.
- Tap “Battery Saver” to turn on/ off the feature. If off, tap the toggle switch to turn.
- Tap the “Turn on automatically” option to specify at what level the device should switch to saver mode.
Note: The menu may be different depending on the device make and model.
Adjust the Screen Brightness and Automatic Sleep Time
Smartphone displays have improved in both size and resolution, but the improvement comes at the expense of your battery life. Reducing the screen brightness level and reducing the sleep time is one of the effective ways of saving your battery power.
- Open the phone settings app and go to the “Display” settings.
- Tap the “Brightness level” and on the resulting slider, slide the gear icon to reduce the screen brightness.
- You may also consider switching off the “Adaptive brightness” feature, which could rise the brightness beyond the necessary levels.
- To adjust how long your screen remain off when idle, tap the “Sleep” settings and pick the lowest time.
Switch off Power-Intensive Features When Not in Use
Another effective way of saving your Android’s battery life is to switch off some features when you don’t need them. Here are a few examples you can switch off or remove to improve the battery life:
- Mobile Data
For most Android phones, you can turn off these features from the shortcut by sliding down your finger from the top edge of the display and tap on a feature to disable.
The low battery alarm can be annoying and frustrating, especially when you have no a power backup or access to power supply to recharge. You can use the above tips to preserve battery life of your Android device. However, these tips can only fix battery usage issues so if the problem is the battery itself, you still need to replace the part to solve the problem.