Battery is one of the important components of your laptop or PC. Whether you have a Mac or Windows based device, your computer will dim the screen when using battery power. Though this helps to save power for longer time, using the screen with dimmed mode may annoy you and irritate the eyes. In this article, we will explain how to disable screen dimming on battery in Windows 11 computers and work with normal brightness.
Default Behavior in Windows 11
Most Windows based computers will start dimming the screen when the battery is going to critical or low level. You will see a low battery notification and decided to use the device or connect the power cable to avoid dimming. However, this depends on the settings and it is possible to always use dull screen with low brightness. This means whether you have 100% or 10% power, you need to work with a dim screen when on battery.
Disable Screen Dimming in Windows 11
Windows uses battery saver mode to dim the screen always or when the battery reaches certain % level. You have two options to disable screen dimming:
- Completely disable manual or automatic battery saver mode
- Use manual or automatic battery saver mode but disable screen dimming
Completely Disable Battery Saver Mode
- Right-click on the battery icon showing in system tray (nearer to the right end of taskbar).
- You will see “Power and sleep settings” menu and click on it. This will open Windows Settings app and take you to “System > Power & Battery” section.
- If you see a notification “Power mode is set automatically while battery saver is on” above the “Power mode” option, then the battery saver is enabled on your system.
- Scroll down a bit and expand the “Battery saver” section under “Battery” heading.
- Click the “Turn off now” button against the “Battery saver” option to disable the dimming of display when on battery.
- If the battery saver option is already disabled or after you disabled, it does not mean the battery saver mode is disabled in your system. The next option “Turn battery saver on automatically at” will allow the system to automatically trigger battery saver mode at the set the % level. Simply click on the dropdown and select “Never” to disable automatic triggering of battery saver mode. It means you have disabled both manual and automatic modes which will completely stop screen dimming problem.
Using Battery Saver without Screen Dimming
If you have enabled either manual battery save mode or set specific % level for automatic trigger, then you can disable “Lower screen brightness when using battery saver” option. This will allow you to use the battery saver mode without screen dimming.
This is a good way as battery saver mode continue helping to reduce the background activities to save the power.
Note: You can go to “System > Display > Brightness & color” section to confirm the brightness level is reduced when you use battery saver with lower screen brightness option enabled. We set to 10 points in the brightness scale without battery saver and it changed to 7 when enabling lower screen brightness option.
If the battery saver mode did not help to fix the issue, then you can check two things – automatic brightness change and night light mode. Fortunately, both of these options are available on the same settings page in Windows 11.
Check and Disable Automatic Brightness Change
Windows offers an option to automatically adjust your computer’s brightness based on the ambience you work. For example, the brightness will be reduced to dim the screen display when you are working in a bright environment. You can disable this option to avoid screen dimming and setup the brightness manually to the desired level.
- Right-click on the Start menu icon in taskbar and select “Settings” option.
- This will open Windows Settings app and go to “System” section.
- Click on the “Brightness” section to expand and you will see few more options.
- Here, turn off “Change brightness automatically when lighting changes” option. You can also disable “Help improve battery by optimizing the content shown and brightness” option.
- After that move the slider to setup your brightness level and the system will not adjust it automatically.
Disable Night Light Mode in Windows 11
Some users confuse the night light mode with screen dimming as system blocks blue and uses warm colors when you enable night light. As you see in the above picture, night light mode is available just below the brightness section in the same “System > Display” settings page.
- Simply turn off the switch against “Night light” mode to disable this option.
- If you want to use night light but adjust the settings, click on “Night light” option. Here you can change the strength of the color adjustments by moving the slider and set the level convenient for you.
- If required, enable schedule option and setup the mode only during night time. System will automatically turn off the option during day time and you can work without color disturbance in the display.
In most cases, automatic brightness adjustment will be the problem as you may not be aware of this setting. However, battery saver also create screen dimming on battery if you have wrongly enabled to use the option always. Unfortunately, there are no options in Windows 11 to restore all the settings to factory level. Therefore, you need to manually go through these settings and adjust as per your need.
Leave a Reply
Your email is safe with us.