Instagram is the most popular social platform at this point of time. However, with the integration of Facebook account, you may easily feel annoying and worrying about the privacy of your data. In addition, you may be obsessed with social medial platforms and want to give a break to your unreal social life. Whatsoever is the reason, here is a step by step process if you want to delete your Instagram account.
Related: How to insert emoji in Instagram?
Deleting Permanently and Disabling Temporarily
Instagram offers two ways to take a break from the app. One is to permanently delete your account which will remove all your data from the company. Other option is to temporarily disable your account for certain period of time. After that you can login back and start posting like before.
As you know, Instagram is a mobile app that does not allow you to post from a desktop computer. However, both temporarily disabling and permanently deleting your account work only by accessing your account through Instagram website. These options are not available in Android or iOS apps and you should login to your account in order to request disabling or deletion. If you forgot the login password, you need to first reset the password and login to your account.
Disabling Instagram Account Temporarily
Follow the below instructions to temporarily disable your Instagram account.
- Go to Instagram website and login to your account through a browser on your mobile or desktop device.
- Click on the profile icon showing on top right corner and choose “Settings” from the dropdown menu.
- This will take you to “Edit Profile” section of your account settings page. Scroll down to bottom of the page and click on the “Temporarily disable my account” link.
- On the temporarily disable your account page, select the reason for disabling the account by clicking on the dropdown against “Why are you disabling your account?” option. You have a list of reasons to choose from and simply select “Just need a break” or any other reason.
- Type your password and click on the “Temporarily Disable Account” button.
- You will see a final confirmation pop-up and click on “Yes” to proceed.
Your account will be instantly deactivated and you will be logged out of your account. This will hide your account all your activities till the time you login back again to Instagram. Remember, all your data will be still available in hidden mode and you can temporarily disable the account only once per week time.
Permanently Deleting Instagram Account
If you fed up with Instagram and want to get rid of the platform completely, follow the below instructions.
- Login to your Instagram account in a browser, you can do this in mobile or desktop.
- Go to this page for requesting the deletion of your account permanently.
- Choose the reason for deleting your account
- Instagram will show the option depending upon your selection. For example, you will get a suggestion for deleting the mobile app instead of deleting the account when you select “Too busy/too distracting”.
- Choose “Something else” or “Create a second account”. Enter your password and click on “Delete account-name” button.
You will have 30 days period to change your mind and log back to Instagram account again. Until 3o days, you will not be visible to others and if you do not login within 30 days, your account will be permanently deleted with all data. After successfully deleting your account, you can register a new account with the same name if it not taken by any other users.
Download Your Data Before Deleting Account
If your primary concern is about the data privacy, then make sure to take a complete backup of your data before permanently deleting Instagram account. You can do this from both mobile and desktop login.
Downloading Data On Browser:
- Click on your profile icon and go to “Settings > Privacy and Security” section.
- Scroll down and click on the “Request Download” link under “Data Download” section.
- On the next page, check and provide you email address and select the data format as HTML. If you would like, select JSON format which is useful for importing to other applications. Click on “Next” button to proceed further.
- Type your password and click on “Request Download” button.
- Instagram will send you a download link to your email address. Click on the email link and download the content.
After downloading your data, you can safely delete your account permanently.
Downloading Data On Mobile App:
Similarly, you can go download the data from Android and iOS Instagram apps.
- Tap on your profile picture and then tap the hamburger menu (three horizontal lines) to go to “Settings” page.
- From there tap “Security” and go to “Download Data” section.
- Here tap on “Request Download” option and provide your password to get the download link in email.
Other Considerations Before Permanently Deleting
Consider the below points before you delete your Instagram account:
- Set your account to private so that only approved followers can view your activities.
- You can block a user or restrict them from commenting. Similarly, you can unfollow others to avoid seeing their activities.
- As mentioned, consider temporarily disable the account to give you a break.