How to Cancel App Subscriptions in iPhone?
The easy way to stop spending on iOS App Store is to disable in-app purchases. However, this will completely disable the purchases and each time you need to go Screen Time and disable/enable the settings before/after purchasing. This makes people lazy not to use this feature. On other hand there are many apps offer subscription based services. Though you will not spend money immediately after subscriptions, there are different schemes for payment with these apps. In this article, let us discuss more on subscription based apps and how to disable app subscriptions to avoid charging.
Subscription Based Apps
Most of the many ways developer can make money with App Store apps.
- Free apps with advertisements – you may need to upgrade in order to remove the ads.
- Free apps with in-app purchases. For example, games and magazine app that offer each issue for a price.
- Premium app with paid option.
- Subscription based apps for recurring monthly or yearly payment.
Subscription based apps will generally show as free or a price for the premium version. However, they can offer additional subscriptions separately inside the app. For example, below is how the Magzter Newsstand free app will look on your App Store. Though the base app is free, it offers a subscription service for reading magazines.
You can subscribe and pay the money when in-app purchase is enabled on your phone. Most of the subscription apps also offer special trail period for free testing. For example, Magzter Newsstand magazine app offers one-month free trial subscription to read all content for free. You can simply tap on the free trial details to view the subscription prices.
Cancel App Subscriptions
There are two reasons you may want to cancel a subscription for an app.
- You have a trail subscription period without payment and not cancelling before the trail will lead to charging your credit / debit card linked to Apple account.
- You are not happy or wanted to cancel at the end of subscription period.
At any case, follow the below instructions to cancel app subscriptions in iPhone and iPad.
- Tap on the “Settings” app and then tap on your name shown on top of the settings page.
- Tap on “iTunes & App Stores” option.
- On the top, you will see your Apple id and tap on it.
- If you have not signed in then sign in with your password. If you have already signed in then tap on “View Apple ID” option.
- It may take few seconds to load your Account settings page. Scroll down the page after loading and tap on “Subscriptions” option.
- Here you will see the list of apps you have subscribed with your Apple ID. Choose the app you want to cancel the subscription and view the detail like price and expiry date.
- Tap on “Cancel Subscription” link.
- Confirm your cancellation by tapping on “Confirm” option. That’s all!!! You have successfully cancelled the subscription of the app.
- Remember, you can still use the service till the end of subscription period. The service will end at the end of trail or subscription period and there will no renewal or charging for you.