Gmail is one of the popular free email service from Google and iPhone is the flagship product from Apple. It makes much sense to combine the benefits to get most from your emails. You can connect your Gmail accounts to your iPhone that makes it super easy to receive and send emails anywhere anytime. Here is a step by step process on how to connect your Gmail account in default Mail app offered in iOS of your iPhone.
Why Not Gmail App?
Google offers an official Gmail app which you can download for free from the iOS App Store. It will help you to add multiple Gmail accounts in a single app and switch between accounts easily. The process is also much easier than adding accounts in Mail app. However, the problem is that when you have email accounts from different service provides. For example, you may have email accounts from Yahoo!, Gmail and on your own domain. In this case, using separate Gmail app for Google accounts and default Mail app for other emails is inconvenient.
Therefore, we recommend you to link all your email accounts in default Mail app to improve your productivity.
How to Add Gmail in iPhone Mail App?
Follow the below instructions to setup Gmail on your iPhone.
- Tap on “Settings” app to open iOS settings menu and then tap on “Passwords & Accounts” menu.
- If you are using earlier iOS versions, then it should be “Mail, Contacts, Calendars” menu.
- Tap on “Add Account” option.
- You will be shown list of email clients like iCloud, Outlook, Gmail, Yahoo, etc,. Obviously choose “Gmail” option.
- Enter your Gmail user name and password and tap on “Next” link.
- Your credentials will be validated and if successful you will be shown the below screen to choose syncing. Use the slider to select the needed options and tap on “Save” link.
- That’s it, your Gmail account is now added to your iPhone or iPad.
- You can view the Gmail account under “Passwords & Accounts” section.
- Below your account there will be numerous customizing options for viewing mails on the device, fetching mails from server, etc.
- Open “Mail” app to see your Gmail account is visible and you can read received emails.
Mail contacts calendars are separate in my settings … what am I doing wrong here? Thanks
Thanks for the comments, in latest iOS version you can look under “Passwords & Accounts” section. The article is also updated accordingly.