Once, Internet Explorer was ruling the browser’s world. Nowadays, Google Chrome is the dominant browser on internet. One simple thing you need with any desktop browser is to open a website for searching or reading content. Though you can create bookmarks for frequently visited websites, sometimes you still need to open website address manually by typing in the address bar. In this article, we have prepared a table to show how to quickly open website address or search in various browsers.
Quickly Open Website Address
Windows and Mac has many modifier keys like Control, Alt or Option, Command and Shift. You can use these keys combining with Return / Enter key to quickly open website address. Here is a complete list of shortcuts to quickly open website address in different browsers.
You can use the relevant method for the following purposes:
- Open the .com website quickly.
- Type search query and get the results with your default search engine in same tab, new tab or in a new window.
|Safari||Mac||Control + Enter||Add .com to domain|
|Safari||Mac||Command + Enter||Open search in new tab|
|Safari||Mac||Shift + Enter||Open search in new window|
|Safari||Mac||Option + Enter||Try saving webpage will fail|
|Firefox||Mac||Control + Enter||Add .com to domain name|
|Firefox||Mac||Command + Enter||Open search in same tab|
|Firefox||Mac||Option + Enter||Open search in same tab|
|Firefox||Mac||Shift + Enter||Open search in new window|
|Chrome||Mac||Control + Enter||Add .com to domain name|
|Chrome||Mac||Command + Enter||Open search in new tab|
|Chrome||Mac||Option + Enter||Open search in new tab|
|Chrome||Windows||Control + Enter||Add .com to domain name|
|Chrome||Mac||Shift + Enter||Open search in new window|
|Firefox||Windows||Control + Enter||Add .com to domain|
|Firefox||Windows||Shift + Enter||Add .net to domain|
|Firefox||Windows||Alt + Enter||Open search in same tab|
|Edge||Windows||Control + Enter||Add .com to domain|
|Edge||Windows||Alt + Enter||Open search in new tab|
|Edge||Windows||Shift + Enter||Open search in new tab|
|IE||Windows||Control + Enter||Add .com to the domain|
|IE||Windows||Alt + Enter||Add .com to the domain|
|IE||Windows||Shift + Enter||Open search in new tab|
Control + Enter Shortcut
The popular way to open a website address is to type the domain name in the address bar and press “Control + Enter” shortcut keys.
control and enter
Earlier days, it was only working in Windows based laptops and PC. However, Apple also adopted this “Control + Enter” shortcuts work with Safari which is the default browser in MacBook. Both Chrome and Firefox browsers on Mac also use the same “Control + Enter” shortcut. Remember, it’s not “Command + Enter”, you should use the “Control + Enter” in Windows and Mac.
However, this method has some confusion and restriction.
- On Mac, Command key is the Windows equivalent for Control key. However, you still need to use the same “Control + Enter” shortcut which may confuse you.
- This method adds www prefix and .com suffix to the domain name. Nowadays, there are many .net and .org domains which can’t be opened like this. On Windows Firefox, you can use “Shift + Enter” keys to open .net domains easily. However, it does not work on other browser or even in Firefox Mac.
Almost all the browsers use the address bar for two purposes – one is to open website address and other is to directly search for queries. Below are two examples on Mac Chrome:
- Type “apple” and press “Command + Enter” keys. This will search for the query “apple” using your browser’s default search engine. And, the search results will open in a new tab in the same window.
- Type “apple” and press “Control + Enter” to open the website https://www.apple.com in the same tab.