What is Off-Page SEO?
Off page search engine optimization is the techniques to improve a webpage’s search rank by taking offline actions besides the content and other on page features. Some of the off page SEO methods are:
- Link building – quality inbound link count is one of the important factors used by search engines to calculate the search rank. Google has a separate algorithm to evaluate the ranking called PageRank which is mainly based on the number of quality and relevant inbound links to the page.
- Search engine submission – submitting site and Sitemap to search engines and other web directories.
- Using social media sites to popularize your content.
- Offline site promotions like newsletters and blog feed subscriptions.
In the past search engines ranked pages based on on-page factors like meta tag, page title and content. Due to the misuse of meta tags and keyword stuffing, it was essential for search engines to find an effective way to evaluate the page’s rank in addition to on-page factors.
The concept of inbound links is very simple – good content will attract more links from other sites. Hence it is directly proportionate to the real value of your content and search engines also use this theory to evaluate a page’s rank. The page with quality links will get a top result in search engines especially in Google.
Guidelines for Building Links
Though good content will attract more links it is also necessary to popularize the content in an acceptable manner. Here are some simple guidelines for link building:
- Avoid paying to get links from high PR sites, if found search engines will ban your whole site from listing.
- Generate links only from the sites which have similar content like yours.
- Avoid creating spam links with site’s irrelevant content compared to yours.
- Create meaningful anchor texts when linking instead of using junk names or “click here” kind of phrases.
- Analyze the sites linking to your competitor’s site and evaluate the worth of linking from those sites such as directories.
- Build links steadily instead of creating bulk links in a single day.
- Use disavow links tools in Google or Bing webmaster tools to inform the search engines not to consider the junk links pointing to your site.
Do It Yourself – Link Building Techniques
It is highly recommended to start doing things on your own without paying others. Link building is slow and steady process which will take long time to make your content more popular. Below are some ways to create links which you can do it yourself to improve your site’s ranking.
- Your own sites -Ensure to avoid reciprocal links which connects back and forth between two of your own sites.
- Web Directories – Directories are the best way to create external links. Ensure to submit your site under relevant category and provide correct details when asked for verification.
- Social media and Bookmarking – In today’s world social media and bookmarking are the easiest way to popularize the content by content sharing. Most of the hosting service providers offer option for adding social network widgets to enable instant sharing and bookmarking sites like Digg not only drive traffic to your page but also make your content more popular.
- Related Blogs and Forums – Become a member of a forum relevant to your site’s content. Start providing links to your content in the interested threads once you are eligible for posting links. Ensure to keep good reputation and provide useful information in the forums. Guest blogging is another way of writing articles on a blogging platforms and linking your site.
- EBooks and Videos – Consolidating a topic into an eBook or creating a demo video will automatically generate inbound links to your site. There are many sites available in the web just to index your PDF eBooks or videos without any action from you.
- Apps – Creating an app in Apple store, Windows store or Google play store will attract mobile and tablet users. This will also help sites to index your app and link your site.