Compressing multiple files into one archived or zipped file saves space and data. You can easily compress files in Windows and macOS with in-built utilities. It is as simple as to right click on the selected files and compress them to a zip file with single click. However, it is not the case with smartphones running with iOS or Android. Being the most popular mobile operating system, a variety of software is available to zip and unzip files on Android. Here we introduce the two best compression technology apps describe in detail and explain how to zip and unzip files on Android phones.
Why to Zip Files in Android?
There are good reasons why someone needs to compress the file in phone.
- Some file types are restricted to sharing online. For example, you can’t send .exe files in Gmail and Outlook due to security reasons. The simple solution is to compress the file and send it as a zip archive.
- If you have too many files like images, compressing and keeping them as zip files will help to easily manage and save storage space.
- You can also set password to files and protect from someone accessing your phone.
- Suppose you have your photo album on your Android mobile phone, and you want to share it with your friends. WhatsApp is an excellent choice to create a group and share the album with all of your friends. But wait a minute! Do you know you cannot share more than 30 media items at a time in WhatsApp? You have to do it multiple times, and every time you have to select all the individual files. Uploading so many files will eat up a lot of your internet data. It will cost the same to each of your friends when they download so many files on their phones. Saving a large number of files on the phone is also not a good idea for phone memory. This problem is valid for any other instant messaging app as they all have their own limitations.
- One way to overcome the limitations of the number of files and size is to share the files through Google Drive, OneDrive, or any other such service. The problem is still the same. Uploading so many files and downloading a large number of files is not easy to manage.
Whatsoever is the reason, you can use one of the below explained methods to zip and unzip files in Android phones.
Zip and Unzip Files in Android Using RAR (Free)
If you are looking for a free all-in-one compression program, RAR is the best choice. It has the following useful features making it one of the best options for Android.
- Backup utility
- File manager
- Repair and recovery option
Forthcoming points will explain how to compress and decompress the files using RAR.
Zip Files with RAR
- Once installation is completed, run the program and approve necessary access. The home screen will ask you to get a subscription for only $0.99 per year. It is optional. You can dismiss and continue using RAR freely with full features. The next page will display folders and files on your phone.
- Select all the folders and files by tapping the square on the right side to archive or compress. Tap on the icon at the top with a “+” sign. It will display archiving options. By default, RAR will save the archive in the current folder or working directory. You can set a password as well. This password will be required every time you open the archive.
- You may enable the “Create solid archive” option. Solid archiving may significantly enhance the compression if there are a large number of small identical files. Change the other settings if you want. Press the “OK” button at the bottom. It will start the archiving process and go back to the working directory. You can see the name of the archive you have created. You can open it by tapping on it.
Unzip Files with RAR
You can extract any compressed files using RAR.
- Select the archive by tapping in the square in front of it.
- Now press the extractor button with an upward arrow at the top. The next screen shows the extraction options.
- Change the setting if you need to and hit the “OK” button at the bottom.
- The program will extract all the files in the archive and display them on the next screen.
RAR displays sizes of the archive and the individual images after extraction. It is clear to see that there is no reduction in the size after archiving the two pictures. The size of the archive is 7.45 MB. The sum of the individual file sizes is 7.45 MB (4.05 MB+ 3.4 MB). Indeed, lossless compression does not work well on images and videos. You may enable the “Create solid archive” option when archiving. Solid Archiving may improve compression in some situations. The benefits of archiving by putting many files in a single file for easy transferring and sharing are still helpful.
ZIP and Unzip Files in Android Using WinZip (Paid)
WinZip has been a leader in compression technology. WinZip is safe to use and offers a simple interface along with great sharing options. The following features make WinZip the first choice.
- Connectivity with cloud accounts and compressing or decompressing files to your account
- Impressive 128- or 256-bit AES encryption
- View all pictures in the compressed file with an updated image viewer
- Compress and share videos and photos on your phone.
The coming steps will give a step-by-step procedure on how to zip and unzip files using WinZip.
Zip Files Using WinZip
- Get WinZip from Google Play and install it on your Android phone.
- After the installation is complete, find the WinZip icon and touch it. It will ask you to buy the subscription with a 3-day trial. You can cancel the subscription within the trial period, and they will not charge you. Click on the “TRY FREE FOR 3 DAYS” button at the bottom. The next screen will show the further subscription detail—Press the “Subscribe” button.
- The home screen of WinZip will show up with a list of folders and locations of your phone. Tap the desired folder or location and find the files or folders you want to zip. Select all the files or folders and click on the vertical line of three dots in the upper right corner. Select “Zip” from the menu. It will ask for the location where the zipped file must be saved. Give the location and name of the file. Go where the zipped file is located and check the files or folders.
Unzip Files Using WinZip
Follow the below instructions to unzip folders using WinZip app.
- Open the zipped file and select files or folders to unzip.
- Touch on the vertical line of three dots next to the desired file and choose “Unzip” from the menu.
- The unzipped file appears next to the compressed file.
You can use numerous other features available through the menus.