Safari browser comes as part of iOS in your iPhone and works seamlessly as a native Apple app. It automatically suggests to save login passwords and AutoFill when you try to login next time. In addition, there are automatic search suggestions and form filling from your Contacts app. Though these things are useful, sometimes they will disturb your work or privacy. If you do not want any automatic recommendations, here is how you can disable Safari AutoFilling of forms/passwords and also stop search suggestions in iPhone. If you are also using Mac, check out how to disable AutoFill in Mac Safari.
AutoFill Example in Safari iPhone
Let’s say, you are in a login page of a website for the first time. When you type username/password, Safari will suggest to save it in iCloud Keychain.
When you opt to “Save Password”, Safari will automatically suggest username/password from next time onwards.
Similarly, you will see automatic suggestions in contact forms and when trying to search in Smart Search Field.
1. Stop Form AutoFill in Safari iPhone
Follow the below instructions on iPhone and iPad.
- Tap on the Settings app and then tap on Safari to open the app’s settings page.
- Check under “General” section and tap on “AutoFill” option.
- Disable “Use Contact Info” and “Credit Cards” option to turn off auto filling of these details. You can edit these details by tapping on “My Info” and “Saved Credit Cards” option respectively.
2. Disable Passwords AutoFill in Safari iPhone
As you can see, the above settings page does not have any options to disable auto filling of login passwords. You need to disable that in different place as explained below:
- Tap on Settings app and go to “Passwords” section.
- Unlock the screen with Face or Touch ID and then tap on “Password Options”.
- On the next page, disable “AutoFill Passwords” option.
Note: If you do not want to share the passwords with other devices, it is possible to disable iCloud sync. Go to “Settings > Apple ID > iCloud > Passwords and Keychain” section and turn off “Sync this iPhone” option.
3. Stop Search Suggestions in Safari iPhone
Safari will show automatic suggestions from the web and from your default search engine when typing keywords in the address bar (Smart Search Field).
Follow the below steps to get rid of these suggestions:
- Go to “Settings > Safari” to open Safari settings page.
- Check under “Search” section and change the default search engine for Safari if required.
- Disable “Search Engine Suggestions”, “Safari Suggestions” and “Preload Top Hits” options.
You will still see an option to use your search engine while typing. However, the automatic suggestions and recommendations will be disabled.
Leave a Reply
Your email is safe with us.