It is good to use the computer for single use to have privacy and protect your data. However, for many reasons you need to create additional account on your Mac. Apple allows you to create different types of user account on the Mac. If you have created an additional administrator account and looking for deleting, then this article is for you.
How to Create a User Account in Mac?
Before, looking to deletion process, let us see how to create a new user account in Mac.
- Login to your Mac using administrator account. This is necessary to create and modify other user accounts.
- Click on the Apple menu and go to “System Preferences…” option.
- Find and click “Users & Groups” option.
- Here you will see all existing users on your Mac.
- Click on the padlock icon and enter your administrator username / password details to unlock the screen for editing.
- Now you will see all the options on the screen are opened up for editing.
- Click on the + icon showing under “Login Options”.
- Select the type of user account you want to create. You can create another admin account or a standard user account with limited privileges. Fill up the name and password details and click on “Create User” button.
- It will take some time and you can see the new username in the list of accounts.
You will see the username when you login to your Mac. You need to share the username / password details to your guest or family members.
Enable or Disable Guest Account
If you are creating an account for one-time use, then we strongly recommend you use the guest account. The advantage here is that you don’t need to create a new user for this since Apple has a guest account on your Mac. However, this is disabled by default and you need to manually enable it for the guest to login.
- When you are in “Users & Groups” preferences section, click on the padlock and unlock with your admin account to open the screen for editing.
- The list of account should show “Guest Users” under “Other Users” and will be “Off”.
- Click on the “Guest User” and enable the option “Allow guests to log in to this computer”.
Now that when you login to your Mac, it will show “Guest User” option for anyone to login. Remember, guest user login does not require any password. This is meant for temporary access with limited privileges. You can also limit adult websites for guests in the preferences.
How to Delete User Account in Mac?
If you have enabled guest user, you can simply disable it from the preferences section. However, if you have created a new user account then you need to delete manually when you don’t need it. The bigger reason you may need to delete additional accounts on your Mac is that each account will take 10+ GB size. You can delete the accounts to save the storage space.
- Login to your Mac with admin account.
- When you are on the “Users & Groups” section, click the padlock and enable editing.
- Select the user account you want to delete and click on the – button.
- You need to confirm what to do with the “Home” folder of the selected account. If not required, choose “Delete the home folder” option.
- Click on the “Delete User” button and it will take few minutes time to complete the deletion process.
- You will see the username is removed and the storage space is also released for your admin account.