How to Add and Customize Weebly Title Element?
Weebly allows to add “Heading” or “Title” on your webpage through the default “Title” element. This element is grouped under “Basic” category of elements in site editor. Similar to any other element, you can drag and drop the “Title” element anywhere on your page to add headings. By default the title added will be a HTML <h2> element and there is no option in Weebly to choose the heading size for the title element.
Typography for Headings
There are six headings used in general typography starting from the biggest size heading H1 to the smallest size heading H6. Different size of headings are used to structure the page content in an orderly manner. For example, you can start with H2 tag and go down to H6 tags to highlight different size and importance. Both search engines and human users consider the largest heading size as important section of the page and the importance gets reduced for other smaller headings.
Customizing Weebly Title Element
“Title” element can be customized by clicking on it on the content area of site editor. You will see the popup with multiple options as shown in the below picture:
Below are the customizing options available for “Title” element:
- Bold, Italic and Underline
- Increase or decrease text size
- Change font color
- Creating hyperlink
- Left, right, center and justify alignment
You also have options to redo, undo and remove the complete formatting to bring the text back to default settings.
Changing Font of Title Element
The font family, size, color and line height properties of the text element are controlled by the style definition in the main CSS file. You can modify the fonts using one of the following ways:
- Modify directly on the “main.less” file by navigating to “Theme > Edit HTML / CSS > Styles > main.less“.
- Use Weebly customizer available under “Theme > Change Font > Headline”.
Weebly Title Element and SEO
Unfortunately Weebly makes it simple by using H2 heading for the “Title” elements. This has lot of problems affecting you, users and search engines.
- Using single headline throughout the page will affect creation of structured content with different sizes of headings.
- Users will get confused which section of the page is more important and which is less important as all headings will be with similar size.
- It also will confuse search engines as crawlers follow the H1 to H6 headings on a page to understand the importance of the content.
To give an example, placing a H2 heading nearer to the end of the article will confuse both the users and search engines. You can find the headings problem of your Weebly site using any SEO review tool. Below is how the SEO review will look like for your Weebly site showing problems for headings.
How to Resolve Weebly Title SEO Problem?
Well, the only was is to use “Embed Code” element and add your own headings through out the page manually using different HTML headings tag. Check out our articles on how to add H1 to H6 tags on your page and how to add H1 title in blog posts. We really hope Weebly guys will introduce updated “Title” element to make it easy for adding H1 to H6 headings throughout the site.