The old Edge version was one of the failures from Microsoft to take back the users from Chrome. However, Microsoft is ramping up the Edge browser with the new Chromium based backend. You might have also heard that the new Bing AI chat will come to Edge sidebar sooner. Though there are lot of new features, one useful feature is to sync and access Microsoft Edge tabs across your devices. Here you can learn how to do that to open tabs from one device and pick up the same tabs on another device.
Tabs Sync in Microsoft Edge
The feature is useful only when you have multiple devices (who doesn’t nowadays?). It is not necessary that you should use Windows OS for sharing tabs in Edge. Edge app is also available for Mac, Android and iOS platforms. This means you can sync and access Edge tabs from Windows to iPhone or Mac to Android phone.
By default, sync is disabled on Edge and you need to manually enable for syncing tabs across your devices. Remember, you need not to sync favorites, saved passwords and other data from Edge. It is possible to only choose open tabs and share if you are worrying about syncing other data.
1. Enable Tabs Sync in Edge Desktop
- Open Edge in your Mac or Windows and go to edge://settings/ URL.
- This will directly take you to the “Profiles” section and click on the “Sign in to sync data” button.
- Select your Microsoft account from the list or select “Add Account” option to add a new account and click “Continue” button.
- You will see a profile is added and the status shows as “Sync is on” with a green tick mark. Click the “Sync” option showing below in the list.
- This will open the details of all items synced in your account and make sure to enable “Open tabs” option. As mentioned, disable other items if you do not want to sync in cloud.
2. Enable Edge Tabs Sync in Mobile
Open Edge in Android, iPhone or iPad and follow the below instructions.
- Tap on the three dots in an oval (settings icon) showing at the bottom center of the new tab page.
- Select “Settings” option from the list to go to Edge’s settings page and tap “Accounts” section.
- Again, tap on “Accounts” option. Select your account and tap “Sign in to sync” option showing at the bottom left.
- Login with the same account used in the desktop and you will see the status shows as “Sync is on” similar to desktop devices.
- Tap on your account and then select “Sync” from the list.
- Make sure “Open Tabs” is turned on and tap “Done” to close the settings screen.
3. Open Edge Desktop Tabs in Mobile
- After enabling sync on your devices, open any website in your desktop’s Edge app.
- Now open Edge app in your mobile and tap on the tabs icon showing at the bottom.
- Go to “Recent” section from the top navigation.
- You will find the tabs synced from your desktop device here. Select any tabs to open in your phone.
In addition to the above method, it is also possible to share the tab from mobile to desktop. Tap on the three dots icon and select “Send to devices” option. You will find the list of devices logged in with the same account. Select the device and tap “Send” button. On the receiving device, you will see a notification in Edge and click “Open in New Tab” option to open the received tab’s link.
4. Open Edge Tabs from Mobile to Desktop
- Open a website in your Edge mobile app.
- Now, go to desktop app, click three dots settings icon and select “History” option.
- Go to “Tabs from other devices” and there you will find all the synced tabs from your mobile.
- Click any tab from the list to continue reading on your desktop device.
Note that the sync may take few minutes to appear in the list. If the tab is not visible, wait for few minutes for the sync to complete. Check the device name and the sync time in the list to make sure the latest tabs are synced.