If you are using Weebly for quite sometime you might be missing the old “Columns” element. In earlier days Weebly was offering a element called “Two Columns Layout” which was later changed to “Multiple Columns” and then to “Columns”. This was very useful for copy or move multiple Weebly elements with few clicks. Also creating a column layout was much easier with “Columns” element. Weebly removed all those functions and introduced “Spacer” element along with the possibilities of dropping elements side by side. Though this offers different type of possibilities it is never being the case like before.
In this article we will explain how to copy, delete and move multiple elements in Weebly along with the restrictions.
Copy, Delete and Move Multiple Elements in Weebly
Let us take an example of moving four text element. Just drag and drop four text elements on the content area of the editor. Ensure to have at least one element placed side by side to other elements, which will basically form a column. In our example we will place four text elements like below:
Now hover your mouse over center of the elements and click on the vertical divider line. There will be a popup “Columns” box with an option to adjust the spacing between the elements. Now if you notice, all the four text elements will be in a single box instead of four separate boxes.
- Click on the center divider line to see the “Columns” popup.
- Drag the dragger button to move all the elements inside the columns to move wherever you want on the page similar to moving single elements.
- You can also click on the arrow mark on the top left corner of the column to move or copy the elements on the same page or to any other page on your site.
- Delete all elements inside the column.
Deleting Multiple Elements
Similar to copy or move elements, click on the “x” button on top right corner of the column to delete all the elements inside the column. You will be prompted to confirm the deletion of all the elements like below:
The only restriction of the above method is that multiple elements placed normally one below others can’t be selected for further processing. This essentially means you should place elements side by side to form column layout before copying, moving or deleting.
Creating Column Layout
It is easy to create a column layout using spacer element and forming columns by placing elements side by side. But the problem is you can’t create multiple pages with similar layout. There are few ways you can resolve this problem:
- Use one of the sample page layouts available from Weebly. You can choose the desired layout by clicking on the “Choose a Layout” button on the content area of the editor before adding any elements. The same page layout can be chosen on any of the page and you can modify the dummy content.
- If any of the existing layouts are not matching your requirement then create a new page with the dummy content and design it according to your need. This page can be hidden from the search engines and copied whenever you want to create a new page. Learn more about selecting page layout in Weebly.
- Create a custom header type with columns and placeholder elements and choose the header type whenever you create a new page. Learn more about creating custom page layout in Weebly.
- The last option is to to buy a third party theme with column layout and use it on your site. We also offer a two columns theme for this purpose named WebSense which can be downloaded free from our product page.
This is the problem from last Carbon upgrade. If the editor is not stable no function will work as intended and moving elements is not an exception.
Elements bounce around so quickly in Weebly it is easy to wreck the layout you’ve already got. Then comes the daunting job of untangling.