Comparison of Windows 10 Home Vs Pro Editions
Apple’s Macintosh is popular among youngsters due to the fixed price selling across all stores. Though the price is at higher end for purchasing a desktop or laptop, you do not need to bargain and ask for additional installed apps. On other hand, purchasing Windows 10 PC or laptop is a skill since each dealer may have different price tag for the same model. In addition, the confusion comes with Windows 10 editions that offers different functionalities. If you are planning to buy Windows 10 or upgrading then here is a comparison of Windows 10 Home Vs Pro editions.
Differences Between Windows 10 Home and Pro
Microsoft offers different kinds of Windows editions. Home and Pro editions are more popular among them. Although most features are standard, there are distinct features such as the Group Policy Editor that lacks on Windows 10 Home. Also, Windows 10 Home security feature is different from that of Windows 10 Pro by far. In case of an issue, getting the right quick fix might be a challenge. Therefore, it is important for you to understand the features of both versions before taking a purchasing decision.
Reading Windows 10 Tutorials Online
There are many tutorial articles available on the internet that offers troubleshooting and tips for Windows 10. However, you need to understand the tutorials are applicable for which Windows 10 edition so that you follow on your laptop or PC.
Otherwise, you may get confused that the features are not available on your computer.
Windows 10 Home
Home is the basic edition of Windows 10, supporting all features of general user needs.
- Its basic features Windows Cortana previously supported on mobile, Microsoft Edge browser based on Chromium engine, and the advanced notebook is part of the improved Windows 10.
- Also, Home edition supports the Windows insider program, the open-source software testing program, although it does not include the security and group management features.
- Home version offers features important to general users, such as touch displays, voice commands and pen sketches.
- Supports integrated encryption feature by default but does not match the BitLocker encryption standard.
- Unlike the previous versions, Home edition supports virtual desktop and the flagship continuum feature to allow the tablet mode on desktop. Furthermore, you can run up to four applications on one screen.
- The Home edition lacks the full Office Suite but supports the free trial version of Microsoft 365. Users have an option to extend the subscription plan after the trial period. With access to Microsoft’s OneDrive, users can access free 5GB of storage with much more available after subscription.
- Windows 10 Home is entertainment featured. It supports the Xbox app with Xbox controller support and the game DVR.
- Compared to the Pro edition, Home pricing is slightly lower, listing at $139.99. However, if you consider hunting around for discounts, you can be lucky to spend a lesser amount. New desktops come installed with the Windows OS. Therefore, you do not require to purchase one. If it is outdated, that’s when you can consider upgrading.
In general, the Home version comes with packed features and contains mobile device management. That way, you can manage applications for connected mobile devices from a desktop.
Related: How to fix slow Windows 10 computer?
Windows 10 Pro
The professional edition comes with packed business-oriented features and applications suitable for small and medium-sized businesses. These features are over the standard Home version features and focusing on device management and security aspects.
- Pro edition comes with group management policy feature. You can define specific security and management measures for your employees, files, and connected devices from the server.
- Next is the Microsoft Store for Business, in which you can define, manage, and distribute software in volume to several users. However, this feature may not be available on all devices / places with the software and functionalities varying by market or device.
- Assigned access primarily introduced in Windows 8.1 is the feature that lets you restrict access to specific apps. The user can also grant access or lock specific apps from desktop or even on a mobile device called the kiosk mode.
- BitLocker encryption tool is a more advanced security feature in Windows 10 Pro edition. It can help you to encrypt external USB drives limiting access from unauthorized users.
- Unlike Home edition, Pro version comes with Microsoft Client Hyper-V support initially built for Windows 8.1 and extended to the Pro edition. It allows users to run multiple operating systems inside a virtual machine or testing software on different operating systems by creating separate virtual machines for each. The Hyper-V edition is free as it comes bundled with the Windows 10 Pro edition.
- Remote desktop compatibility is another virtualization feature that enables you to connect to your desktop from anywhere, right from your mobile device. Also, several users can be assigned different applications while maintaining a distinct identity and security for each user.
- Windows 10 Pro price is slightly higher, costing $199.99. However, with a little shopping around, you can be lucky to get a few discounts. Similarly, you can opt to purchase one installed with the Pro edition or purchase from a physical Microsoft store or on the website.
Windows 10 Home and Pro Similar Features
All Home features are available in Pro edition. If you are not clear about the comparison, get in touch with support personnel who should know which features vary and are beyond the primary Home user. Below are some of the notable features, you will be getting with both Windows editions.
- The Cortana feature initially supported on the mobile version does boost usability through voice use and seamless search results.
- There is the digital pen and touch feature in which you can script notes, draw and navigate right on your desktop.
- Battery saver feature lets you save power and extend battery life. Limit background activity, control push notifications and regulate screen brightness right on any Windows 10 desktop.
Windows 10 is a significant improvement compared to previous Windows 7 and 8 versions. However, you have different editions in Windows 10 that may confuse you. Most of the laptop manufacturers also sell pre-installed Windows editions which makes the user to understand the features before purchasing. In general professionals, small and medium-sized businesses that require to manage their companies can opt for Pro version. For home and personal use, the Home edition is the good choice.