WordPress is becoming popular and powerful thanks to the popularity of blogging industry. However, there are many other reasons people launches websites other than merely blogging. In any case, choosing a right theme for your WordPress site is a daunting task with too many free and premium options available. One of the easy ways is to check your favorite site’s theme and try to design your site similarly.
Installing WordPress Theme
There are hundreds of thousands of free and premium themes available for a WordPress. You can download themes from the free repository of official WordPress.org site and install directly from WordPress admin panel of your website. Other option is to purchase or download themes from third party developers and upload through admin panel or using FTP.
How to Find Which Theme a WordPress Site Uses?
You can easily find the theme your favorite or competitor’s website uses. This helps to purchase the same theme for your website or your client’s site and start building the content. Here are few ways you can easily find the theme used on a website.
- Use WordPress theme detector tool
- Check the source code of the website site.
- Find details from stylesheet.
1. Using WordPress Theme Detector Tool
We have a free tool that detects a WordPress theme used on a site. You can type any website address and the tool will find the theme used on the site.
In addition to theme, the tool will also list all detected plugins on the site along with the link to the plugin’s home page. The tool will show the default repository link if the plugin is from WordPress repository. Otherwise, it will display a Google search link with the plugin name.
2. Check Source Code
WordPress has a structured way of storing theme, plugins and media files. It stores all theme files under the theme name in “/wp-content/themes/” folder. However, you may not be able to access the folder as the site admin might disabled directory level browsing for security reason.
- You can right click to view the source code of the webpage.
- Search for “theme” and find “/wp-content/themes/” meta link mostly available in the header section. In some cases, you can also find the scripts in the footer section.
- You can find the theme name as “/wp-content/themes/theme-name”. For example, if the site uses generatepress theme then you will see the link as “/wp-content/themes/generatepress/”.
3. Find Details from Stylesheet
The other way to find the theme on a WordPress site is to look for the site’s main stylesheet. The recommended and standard practice for building a WordPress theme is to add the following details in the stylesheet file.
/* Theme Name: Name of the theme Theme URI: Theme URL location Author: Theme's author Author URI: Location of author's URL Description: Short description of the theme Version: Theme's version License: License under which theme is distributed License URI: URL of the license Tags: Theme's tag like blogging, portfolio, etc. Text Domain: Theme's text domain */
Most of the themes uses a stylesheet with the name as “style.css” or “style.min.css” file. You can look into the comments section of the stylesheet to find the theme details.
- Right click and view the source code of the webpage.
- Search for “style” and find style.css or style.min.css link in the header section of the page.
- Click on the link to view the content.
- You can find the details like below declared at the start of the theme.
We hope you can find the theme on a WordPress site using one of the above-explained methods. When you find a site is ranking high on search results, use these methods to find the theme and plugins. It makes your design task easier by using the same theme and plugins on your site and rank high on search engines.
Sometimes, site owner modifies the theme files and uses a custom theme name. In this case, you will find a custom theme name the site owner provides in the main stylesheet. You can drop an email to the owner using contact form on the site to check the original theme details.