What is Lightbox?
Below is an example of an image when viewed as a lightbox:
Enabling or Disabling Lightbox in Weebly
Weebly allows to add lightbox effect to the images using two elements:
- Image Element – you can add lightbox effect to a single image.
- Gallery Element – you can add lightbox effect to a image gallery.
Adding Lightbox on Single Image
Drag and drop an image element on the desired content area and add the image to your Weebly website. Once added, click on the image to see the advanced popup settings box as shown in the screenshot below.
You can enable or disable the lightbox using the “Lightbox” option.
Using Lightbox on Gallery
Similar to single image, add a gallery element and upload all your images. Click on any of the image to see the advanced settings and you can enable lightbox under “Thumbnail” option. The gallery element has three options for lightbox:
- Lightbox Only
- Lightbox & Partial Thumbnails
- Lightbox and Full Thumbnails
When to Enable Lightbox?
It is not necessary to enable lighbox for all the images on your Weebly site. Below are some of the situations you may need to use this feature:
- When resizing larger size images to smaller size
- When an image has text and the user needs to enlarge the image to original size in order to view the text.
- View the gallery of images elegantly.
When the lightboxof an image is disabled then the user will not be able to click on the image to see the original size in a pop-up window. Also lightbox option can’t be used when linking the image to any other resource since clicking on the image will take you to the target URL.
How Weebly Lightbox Works?
Disadvantages of Using Lightbox
Though the lightbox effect looks good, it has many disadvantages.
- Since jQuery script is used to provide the fancy effect, using lightbox will increase the page load time, hence use only if it is required.
- Since original image can’t be viewed in a browser window, the only way to copy the image URL is to right click on the image and copy the URL.