How to Open Safari Tabs from iPhone to Mac?
Did you ever encounter this situation? You are reading an interesting webpage in Safari on your MacBook and suddenly realize it’s time to move back to office or home. Or reading a webpage on iPhone and realize it’s time to get back to your Mac for some work. This happens frequently to all of us regardless of whether we are traveling or managing work in the same place. In this article, we will explain how you can open Safari tabs from iPhone to Mac and vice versa to continue reading without interruption.
Apple’s Continuity Features
One of the advantages of Apple is the continuity features while using multiple devices. You can easily access the Safari browser tabs opened on iPhone from your Mac. However, the continuity features need the following preconditions:
- You have logged in to the same iCloud account on all the devices.
- Connect all the devices on the same network.
- Switched on Bluetooth on all the devices and have the devices in reachable distance.
This is generally the case that most of us work with iPhone and Mac keeping them connected on the same network. Once you opened the Safari tabs on other device then you can change the network to continue the read.
Enable Safari to Use iCloud
In order for the Safari app to use iCloud, you need to provide permissions on your iPhone.
- Tap on “Settings” app on your iPhone and touch your name to go to Apple ID settings.
- Touch “iCloud” and then turn on Safari under “Apps using iCloud” section.
Open Safari Tabs from iPhone to Mac
Follow the below instructions to access the iPhone Safari tabs on your Mac.
- First, launch Safari app on your iPhone and open any website.
- Now, check the “Dock” on your Mac.
- You should see a Safari app on the left corner of the “Dock”.
- Tap on the Safari icon to open the tabs from iPhone Safari on Mac.
- Remember, this is a separate icon that appears only when you allow Safari to use iCloud on your iPhone. You can still see the Mac Safari app on the “Dock”. However, after loading webpages from iPhone, you can continue to use the same Safari app to open other webpages on Mac.
Unfortunately, you can open the active tab in this manner and need to switch tabs in iPhone to open the same tab on Mac.
Open Safari Tabs from Mac to iPhone
- Launch Safari app on your Mac and open any website.
- Now take you iPhone and launch Safari app.
- Tap on the open new tab button that shows on the bottom right corner.
- This will show all the open tabs you are currently having on Safari.
- Swipe the window a little up from bottom to top.
- Now you will see all tabs opened on Safari browser from your Mac.
- Touch any of the title to open the same webpage on your iPhone.
- After the webpage loaded successfully on iPhone, you can read the page like directly opening on iPhone.
Using AirDrop for Tab Transfer
Using AirDrop is another option to share Safari browser tabs across iPhone and Mac. When you are in Safari browser on Mac or iPhone, tap on the “Share” button and choose “AirDrop” option.
You will see your devices connected to the same iCloud account. Tap on your device name to instantly share the tab. This will open the webpage in Safari on the received device.
From Chrome Mac to Safari iPhone
If you are using Google Chrome on Mac, you can pick up the active tab from Chrome Mac to Safari iPhone.
- Swipe up and hold to open “App Switcher” (on older phones with home button, double tap home button). You will see a small box at the bottom showing the active tab from Google Chrome on Mac. However, iPhone will show “Safari – From MacBook Pro” though the tab is from Chrome.
- When you open Safari on iPhone, Siri suggestions will show the current active tab from Chrome.