PDF or Portable Document Format is one of the best formats for file sharing and viewing documents independent of platforms. Most Windows applications allow converting your documents to PDF format without any third-party apps. You can either save the document as PDF or use Microsoft Print to PDF option while printing. If you are not finding the option, here is how to add the missing Microsoft Print to PDF option in the printer list.
Save as PDF Vs Print to PDF
Applications like Microsoft Word allows you to save the document as PDF. Similarly, the Edge browser includes an “Save as PDF” option while printing the webpages.
However, this save as PDF option is not available in some applications like, Notepad, WordPad and Microsoft Outlook. For example, you can’t save an Outlook email as a PDF file. In such a case, you can use Microsoft Print to PDF option to convert your documents and emails to PDF format.
Since printing is a common feature, Microsoft Print to PDF will work with all the applications to save the document in PDF format. Also, you can see the preview while using print to PDF option in Word or Edge which is not the case when you use save as PDF.
Missing Print to PDF
You should see Microsoft Print to PDF as one of the printers when you open print dialog box in Windows PC. This is a virtual printer to convert you documents to PDF file using a printing queue. Unfortunately, sometimes you will not see this option in the printer list. For example, open an email in Outlook app and press “Control + P” to launch print dialog. Click on the printer list and as you see in the below screenshot, there is no Microsoft Print to PDF in the list.
Add Missing Microsoft Print to PDF Printer
Fortunately, Microsoft offers a frontend option to enable this missing feature in Windows 11.
- Click Windows Search icon in the taskbar.
- Type “control panel” and open Control Panel app.
- Click the “View by” dropdown showing near to top right corner and arrange the items in the Control Panel by “Category”.
- Now, click on “Programs” option which is the last item in the list.
- On the next screen, click on “Turn Windows features on or off” link showing below “Programs and Features” category.
- This will open Windows Features dialog box showing a big list of features.
- Scroll to the middle of the list and find “Microsoft Print to PDF” option.
- Check the box to enable that option and click “OK” button.
- Now, Windows will search for the required files and apply the changes.
- You will see a confirmation message that “Windows complete the requested changes”.
- Click “Close” button to close the dialog.
You do not need to restart your computer, however, close the print dialog if it open. Again, press “Control + P” to open the print dialog. Now, you should see the “Microsoft Print to PDF” option in the printer list.
When you add the feature, Windows will add the missing print to PDF option in the printer list. This means, you should see the print option in all applications including Word and Edge. Similar way, you can enable or disable Microsoft XPS Document Writer in the printer list using Windows Features setting.